New Rig Help

Thato1

Beta member
Mine is biting the dust slowly, but I bought most the hardware 4 years ago, so its about time to move up anyways.

CPU: Core i7-930 Processor Boxed
Mobo: GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 X58 ATX Motherboard
Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower
Disk Drive: LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - OEM
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

GPU: I have this... BIOSTAR VN9603TD52-BS20R GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card Would it be worth buying another or just going with a new card?

That is all I plan on buying, is there anything I'm over looking? My current hard drive is 120g, I wanted something bigger and plan on using this only one for my OS. I was planning on trying to use my old OS, windows XP is that going to be a problem? Anything you would change? Any feedback would be great as I'm pretty new to this still.

Hello Thato, welcome to CF!

I haven't reviewed the system parts that you're throwing together (besides reading the part descriptions in your post), but I did want to comment on the question you had about 're-using' the OS on the HardDrive. When changing Motherboards, Microsoft considers this as a new build so you will need to go out and purchase another copy of XP. Personally with a system like this, I would go out and get Windows 7 64bit to get the most out of your system. I would also get a nice fresh GPU if you have the budget for it.

Microsoft considers this as a new build so you will need to go out and purchase another copy of XP.

This is only if his copy of xp is OEM, correct?

And I would agree, look into getting a new GPU as well. If you are going to go with an i7, might as well get a more powerful GPU too!

Ya I didnt think I could either, but my current OS was actually the same disk I think I used from my last one... if I run into problems Ill get a new one.

I should clarify about the GPU. Should I get another of the one I already have and SLI or get a totally new card?

Thanks for all the input so far!

Ya I didnt think I could either, but my current OS was actually the same disk I think I used from my last one... if I run into problems Ill get a new one.

I should clarify about the GPU. Should I get another of the one I already have and SLI or get a totally new card?

Thanks for all the input so far!

DEFINITELY A NEW CARD.
SLI two old cards is useless.
SLI should only be used when you have two top end cards but still want more performance.
We'll help you pick a card.
What's your budget for your GPU?

Hadn't really decided about the budget. I don't want the BEST card, but I'd like something that will hold its ground for a long time. I'm a sucker for deals so if there is a card that is well worth its current price I'd probably go for that.

I've been basing my parts off the sticky'd guide so I'll probably go for the listed high end GPU in there

SLI or Crossfire is not what you think, lets say you get 46 fps in crisis with one GPU and then you add a second one for SLI/Crossfire instead of getting double fps (which would be 92 fps) you would get like 70 fps (if that) with both cards. each time you add a card it cuts the performance so after like three GPU's it gets useless.

Back
Top Bottom