Best Mic for Recording

If i put it into the Recording output. I've done it before, but the quality was horrible.

Thanks dude, you've helped i'll look more into it later.

A box that plugs in via USB and provides a number of audio inputs / outputs to and from your PC (with a couple of those often being XLR inputs.) They'll contain preamps on the XLR inputs (and some USB interfaces are just designed with this in mind, see http://www.zzounds.com/item--ARTUSBDPPS)

I think I'm missing something... what on earth is that going to do if it's just going to and from your PC?!

I might be wrong here, but I think he means going straight from his GUITAR to his sound card. Not from one sound card to the other :p

I might be wrong here, but I think he means going straight from his GUITAR to his sound card. Not from one sound card to the other :p
Ah. If that's the case then that's what I was talking about towards the start of the thread:
An electric guitar amp gives it a lot of its characteristic sound "colour", taking the feed straight from the guitar without the amp will most likely sound crap.

Not bad at all. Just bear in mind it's a desk rather than a USB audio interface, so you'll need a cable that runs from a stereo minijack to two mono jacks you can plug in the desk's outputs. You'll also need a decent soundcard with a line in (not mic!) socket that doesn't introduce lots of noise.

What would be the best Mic for Recording my Guitar Amp? I also want to record through my computer using audacity or a similar program.

Maybe not even a Mic i just want to record my Guitar onto my PC with the best Quality under $100

There's ton's of mic's out there you could use and various ways/techniques to get the recording down.

Here's an article from a magazine I read every month, Guitar Amp Recording.

It makes for a good read.

Here's an article from a magazine I read every month, Guitar Amp Recording.

It makes for a good read.
Great article, especially when talking in terms of placement. My preference is usually a 57 just off centre of one of the cones on the amp, but others will no doubt hear differently (in placement and mic choice!)

One thing I would say though is that being a pro sound magazine, pretty much all the mics that article mentions aside from the 57 are many, many times out of your budget. The U87 for example is a fabulous mic that sounds great used (correctly) for more things than I can count. It will however set you back the best part of 2 grand. The others there aren't quite that much but you're still talking a few hundred at least.

If you want to plug right into your soundcard you are gonna need a preamp for your guitar. Its also gonna sound like poop because you don't have an actual amp giving you any tone.

I'd reccomend a SM57 and a USB XLR interface. Both are available on Ebay.

If you want to plug right into your soundcard you are gonna need a preamp for your guitar. Its also gonna sound like poop because you don't have an actual amp giving you any tone.

The OP has a guitar amp and want's to mic-it-up.

All that is initially needed is a dynamic mic with an adaptor for 3.5mm jack to plug into the mic-in on his sound card. The guitar plugs into the guitar amp.

All that is initially needed is a dynamic mic with an adaptor for 3.5mm jack to plug into the mic-in on his sound card
The standard mic preamps for 3.5mm jacks on soundcards tend to sound awful, even on the higher end cards.

Back
Top Bottom