A few general questions

CrazyKiwi

Baseband Member
Okay so sorry for the story but I'm only saying it just to make sure my questions can get answered. Sorry I am also a newb at building and tuning computers because I usually never really had the time with other hobbies and such.

Recently I started a gaming rig build but have fell on hard times. I had to shell out some of the money that was going to the build to repair my car so the build for now has been put on hold. I have an older compaq computer that I was using to run a few automated programs but other than that I really wasn't using it. It barely has 500mbs of ram and well to be honest is a p.o.s. I was wondering a few things about it.

1.I have 2gb ram sticks that would be going into the gaming build but are not being used obviously as of now. I was wondering if I could put them into the compaq. While it says it can only have a max of 1gb or ram could i put the 2gb stick in there without any harm? Would it just cap it at 1gb or would it try to use it all? Would it harm the stick to where I wouldn't be able to use them in the gaming build?

2. I also have a 500 watt power supply that came with my gaming rig case, but I am not using it because it does not have enough power for my rig. Is it possible to over power a computer and cause it harm? I have no idea what the stock power supply is in the compaq.

3. And lastly do all gfxs cards work with all processors and mobos? I have a radeon 3850 and a 5770 and was wondering if I could put one or both of them in the compaq so I could run the compaq as a temporary gaming computer till I can finish the other rig.

Thanks for the help and time anyone.

1. Maybe thought I doubt they use the same tech.
2. Yes also as your compaq use atx most likely.
3 If the compaq has the same expansion slots than it will most likely work.

You'd only need to put one of the video cards in I don't think the 5770 and 3850 are crossfire compatible. They have to be from the same series to be crossfired soo both 57xx or 38xx. I'd throw the 3850 in there and shelf the 5770 until you get the new computer build. Then Put the 5770 in the new computer.

hmmmmmm Did not know that they had to be from the same series :( darn. Oh well. Will the 5770 be enough to run most games? or am I gonna need another gfx card?

To do CrossFire/SLI yes, you would need identical cards from one or the other manufacturer, but if you just wanted a multimonitor system for general 2D applications, there's nothing wrong with running two different brands of cards in the same system. Just don't expect to game on them at the same time (one or the other)

Back
Top Bottom