Computer Info. System(Which EMphasasis best fits me?)

TheLegend

Beta member
Hey im planning on going to a 2 year school and take up Computer Inf. Systems, but i have a problem with picking and emphasis. I really love dealing with computers!! Heres what i like: I Like to fix and build computers, i like solving problems with PCs, Basically if i was in the room with alot of computer parts and was ordered to repair them and Build them up to working PCs, i would have a blast doing it!!lol, Anytime anybody in my circle(Friends,Family,ect) have a PC problem, they call on me! Im not a fan of Programming!! So here are a list of certifications the School offers(Which one fits me):

Awards Available
Associate Degree in Applied Technology in Computer Information Systems Tech.
Networking Emphasis (CCNA/LINUX+)
Networking Emphasis (MCDST)
Database/Web Presence Applications/Design (CIW)
Programming Emphasis via Object-Based Languages
Short Term Certificate(s) in Computer Information Systems
Emphasis: Networking (CCNA)
Emphasis: Networking (MCDST)
Emphasis: Database/Web Presence Applications/Design
Emphasis: Programming via Object-Based Languages

(P.S What is an "A+ technician"?)

(P.S What is an "A+ technician"?)
Someone who is A+ certified.

I'd definitely drop the programming emphasis one if you don't like programming. I'd also drop the database / web presence stuff as well since it's potentially got some programming in it as well and is rather software based. That really leaves you with the networking stuff, does that appeal to you? Bear in mind there's most likely going to be a fair bit of theory behind it as well.

are those lists of seperate courses, or is that the course title at the top
Awards Available
Associate Degree in Applied Technology in Computer Information Systems Tech.

with the modules listed below that? or is there more than one course in there?

what's your end goal? what sort of thing do you want to be doing? if your love is fixing PCs then you might do well to just study for an A+ and go and fix PC's in a computer shop, if you want to be providing program support then you might find the A+ not much use and want to take a degree in computer information systems.

I'm just thinking that you already said that you love fixing computers, but dislike the programming aspect.

I guess what I'm saying is are you going to be happy studying information systems for 2 years? there doesn't sound like there is a lot of hands on useful stuff in that course.

Looking at it further, +1 to root's answer if you really just want to fix PCs - that (or any) degree that you do will have a lot of theory in it. Degrees aren't for everyone, if you just like fixing PCs in the hands on aspect and don't like programming, theory or the like they're most likely not for you.

I'm taking an Associates degree in Computer Maintenance at Texas State Technical College. The main reason I got into it was because of the hands on aspect. I like the same thing you like about computers. You should probably look into a different school that offers what you want. I wanted to stay home and go to college, but that didn't work out because none of the schools at home offered anything I wanted to take. They had Programming like that school does, but I never tried it and I really don't think it would be my thing. I really like my choice of school and major.

Back
Top Bottom