Need help with hard drive mix up!

dustnm1

Beta member
Ok I bought a computer and just recieved it and tried installing a game and it told me I didn't have enough space on my hard drive.

I thought to myself, "How's that possible, i have a 1TB hard drive."

When I looked at my computer it turns out that my OS was installed on my 30GB hard drive instead of the 1TB so now the 30GB has become my C: drive and the 1TB is my E: drive and everything installs onto the C: by default.

So my question is, how do I swap these two. How do I make the 1TB my C: drive and make the 30GB my E: Drive?

Welcome to CF!

You have a couple of options.
A. You can just change the install directory of where the programs install via a custom install. When it asks where to install, change C:\Program Files\ to E:\Program Files\

B. Exactly what you're looking to do, but this will require a little more work on your part, but completely solve the issue going forward.

1. You have to set the 1TB drive to be the master drive and the 30GB to be a slave drive. On the back of your hard drives, there are two rows of four pins, with a jumper on them. On the drives themselves, it will tell you where to place them. I.e. MA/SL/CS/--
2. On the 1TB drive, set the jumper to the MA position.
3. On the 30GB drive, set the jumper to the SL position.
4. You will now need to reinstall Windows on the 1TB.

Windows will (depending on the version) automatically format the drive so if you have anything on there that you want to keep, make sure that you back it up on a disc or another drive.

Thank you, I took your suggestion and it worked. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Back
Top Bottom