New build is having issues with operating system

winterfreshpwnz

Fully Optimized
I just built a new rig, athlon 2 x2 245, asus m4a89gtd mobo, western digital 500 caviar blue hdd, 2 2gb a-data ddr3 ram sticks, ocz 500 w psu, and everything is chill, for the most part. It turns on and acts completely normal, except with the OS. Now, I'm installing XP Home and then upgrading to windows 7 but it is not going so smoothly. I turn on the comp and put the disc in and after it loads up the files, it installs, but does not recognize a lot of the hardware as I would assume. It does not recognize the monitor and to make things worse, I try installing the drivers from disc for the monitor, but it won't let me. The worst part, is when I put the upgrade disc in, it does not open. I even autorunned it and the screen for it opens for literally a split second and goes away. I tried installing the network adapter and same thing, the screen opens and then goes away. I don't know what this is, but I'm assuming XP is just not very compatibler with the rig, which is why I planned on upgrading immediately. But now I can't even do that. I ended up installing my old hdd that already had xp installed and formatted the new hdd from there, all the problems were still happening however, but I cleaned the hdd at least back to new. Unfortunately, Windows does not install at all now. It loads up all the files on this blue screen, and at the bottom where it finally says, setup is loading windows, it just freezes. Can you guys please help me out, because I'm sure just buying 7 will solve it, but I don't wanna waste the money.

Thanks, but like I said, now Windows XP won't even install. I reformatted and now it just freezes when it gets to the final step of loading up the files for installation.

Can't even do that now. So now when I try booting from disc, it loads up windows files on that blue screen, but then when it gets to the final step of loading up the setup for installation, it freezes, and then after about 5-10 minutes, give me a blue screen, saying session3_initialization_failed. It says to check hardware that it is configured properly, but I'm positive it is. It just doesn't make sense to me that it would work the first time (even though not entirely) I install it, but now it won't install period. Is there a chance that my hdd or disc drive could be faulty?? When it freezes, I can ALMOST hear kind of a clicky noise in the disc drive, like I can hear it tryin to read the disc or go to the next step, but it can't.

Also, I tried putting the old hdd back in, and it is not getting recognized in the BIOS. So, things are getting worse by the second.

You have 3 issues. Bios, memory, and the HD.
1. Default the bios. Since the bios doesn't need the HD or an OS to work, you should be able to get to it. If it's out of factory specs like overclocked, it's going to squawk.
2. With every attempt you make to load the OS installer, it's leaving behind the setup files. Take the HD disc and format the long way the entire drive. Make it blank as my stepdaughter's mind.
3. Too much ram in at install time. Sure it can handle 4 gigs but until you get the OS running take out one stick. When you get your system up and running put the other stick back in.

See how that goes and report back.

I'm not at home right now, but I will definitely try that. Also, a little update, I put my old dvd drive in and took out the new one, fixed some of the issues. Now, windows loads up like it should, I can reformat, install, etc. For some reason, the computer still does not recognize my old hdd (it did previously), and it also does not recognize my monitor (device manager does not even have a list for monitors, it's just missing), and the Windows 7 upgrade still loads up the screen and then disappears after a split second. What I tried doing though was clicking the upgrade option as ffast as possible before the screen left and was able to hit it. I accept terms and conditions and when it is about to load the files I forget what it says exactly, but it says basically that it cannot and it will abort.

Basically, one of these issues is down, but there is for sure issues still. I'll default the BIOS, reformat the hdd the long way, and take one of those sticks out. Assuming this works, when would I put the next stick in?

edit: Could the fact that I'm using the same serial key on two different mobos mean anything? I already installed it years ago on my old comp and doing it again now on my new one. Could this be an issue?

Assuming this works, when would I put the next stick in?

When the OS is stable.

edit: Could the fact that I'm using the same serial key on two different mobos mean anything? I already installed it years ago on my old comp and doing it again now on my new one. Could this be an issue?

No, although that's illegal and generally frowned upon, and you should really invest in a new OS (ok ok I'll get off the soap box) that wouldn't stop it from loading up. Unless it's connected to the interwebz, which even still I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

Hey, a little update. I did those steps and I'm using the internet right now actually. I was able to install all my necessary drivers and now it recognizes my monitor, but a little tiny issue is that it reads two monitors, the same exact one too. Kinda weird, but I was also able to hook up my network adapter finally! So I'm on the internet on my computer right now. I haven't tried upgrading windows yet, so I don't know if that will work yet, but I'll let you guys know.

Some video cards will display the same image on two monitors or display two monitors when there's only one installed. It's not a big deal, usually just cosmetic. Installing the latest drivers should fix it, so save that step for when 7 is installed.

I also wouldn't put the other memory stick in until 7 is installed, not merely after XP is stable. 7 has the potential to screw up during install with too much RAM, it depends on a lot of factors, I generally always install 7 with 2 GB and then up the system to the max level later.

Back
Top Bottom