Reporting a DDoS Attack?

Equinox1354

In Runtime
I have a friend of a friend who keeps DDoSing me. He bought a script or something and that script is hosted in another country, but it still manages to flood my bandwidth. Is there any way to report him to the authorities?

DDos means multiple attackers, so most likely impossible. I would recommend if you have a dynamic ip to change it.

My ISP, Cox Communications, told me that it is not possible to change my IP unless I buy a new Motorola Surfboard modem. To me, I know it is total bullsh*t.

DDos means multiple attackers, so most likely impossible.
True, though if it always originates from some far off country the block of IPs coming from that country could be blocked. That and I'm sceptical if it's coming from multiple machines at all if it's all in one far off country...

How do you know this is a denial of service attack at all? Are you sure it isn't something else? Your description seems quite vague and it'd be very rare for something like this to happen in that way.

My ISP, Cox Communications, told me that it is not possible to change my IP unless I buy a new Motorola Surfboard modem. To me, I know it is total bullsh*t.
You can try two things

First go into your router and release the wan address (don't renew it) and leave the modem unplugged long as possible, like overnight, but during the daytime would probably be better. The plan is to get that address back into the pool but most importantly picked up by another router.

Second (and you might want to try this first) Unplug the modem go into your router, most routers will let you clone a mac address from one of your machines the routers WAN port. Do this and plug the modem back in.

How do you know this is a denial of service attack at all? Are you sure it isn't something else? Your description seems quite vague and it'd be very rare for something like this to happen in that way.

Someone said on Steam they were going to do it. Next thing I know, 5 minutes later, my internet shuts off for about 3 hours.

You can try two things

First go into your router and release the wan address (don't renew it) and leave the modem unplugged long as possible, like overnight, but during the daytime would probably be better. The plan is to get that address back into the pool but most importantly picked up by another router.

Second (and you might want to try this first) Unplug the modem go into your router, most routers will let you clone a mac address from one of your machines the routers WAN port. Do this and plug the modem back in.

I have tried these. Both did not work.

Someone said on Steam they were going to do it. Next thing I know, 5 minutes later, my internet shuts off for about 3 hours.
Has it shut off since? Perhaps I'm just being sceptical, but there's lots of people on steam and the like who boast about doing things they can't and coincidences do happen... If you can't confirm 100% that it was a DDoS attack I'm afraid no authorities will really begin to look into it.

Has it shut off since? Perhaps I'm just being sceptical, but there's lots of people on steam and the like who boast about doing things they can't and coincidences do happen... If you can't confirm 100% that it was a DDoS attack I'm afraid no authorities will really begin to look into it.

I know he has bought scripts to do it. I have seen them. He bought it with his parents' credit card. I can't report him and they can check their card history? He pays about $12 a month for it. It's stupid and a waste, but he can do it. I know where he lives and his parents' names.

Edit: I have my ways of getting information. :3

Report him to the police.

Remember that he's not launching DDOS attacks against an individual, that's not your IP address, it's your ISP's property. he's not attacking you, he's attacking a business.

Remember that these kinds of tools are used by people do do much worse than just knock you off the internet for a short while.

this is the kind of stuff that the police love...

open shut case where someone is funding cyber crime.

sadly you will just have to put up with it for a while whilst the police are investigating. report him to the police, keep pushing them to do their job if you think it's moving slowly, then wait for his parents bank accounts to get seized as they are funding crime, and wait for him to get sent to jail for the next 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom