PC won't recognize headphones...

LaRebeldeRaven

Solid State Member
i have a windows vista home premium, and no matter what i do it wont recognize my headphones:confused: . can someone please help?

What kind of connector do the headphones use? Do you have onboard or an add-in sound card? Does the system play back through speakers, or are the headphones the only way you listen to things on the system?

i have headphones, and they work, but right now someone else is using them, so the only thing i have are my headphones...
connector? i don't really know...
Do you have onboard or an add-in sound card? i've been trying to find that out for a while now, can you tell me how to please?

Sure. The headphones, what kind of connector do they have? Flat rectangle, or a thinner looking one that you might connect to a portable CD Player?

Onboard sound will have ports closer to the place where the network cord or the monitor plugs into the system, an add-in card will have plugs closer to the bottom of the computer tower.

These are moot of course if the system is a laptop or the connector on the headphones is the flat rectangular one.

i think i have an add in card ^^ i also have a thin connector that fits on my cd player and walkman.
i have a PC, (although i also have a laptop, but my sister (who also has the speakers) has it.)

Yeah, the one I linked is a mono plug, but it got the point across. Two black rings just means stereo (usually).

If the system isn't working with headphones, it may or may not work with speakers, but that remains to be proven.

Which operating system? Windows?

Also, which color plug are you connecting the headphones into?

yeah, windows vista, and i'm connecting the headphones in the front of the computer, it has the headphone sign (i tried in the back, but it didn't work in any of the colored-ones..)

Came back to view the thread and saw the OS at the top & did a facepalm, had forgotten the OS already. :(

Of the ones in the back, the green one is usually the correct port, though you can sometimes plug it into any one of the jacks if the autosensing software is installed (depending on audio codec chipset)

The first thing you should do is make sure the hardware is working ok. Go to your start button, open the menu and look for "computer". Right click on that and choose properties, then click the Device Manager option. From here, make sure that all of the devices in the device manager are showing a + next to them. If there are any with a - next to "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" then we need to look more closely at that.

If the Device Manager looks ok, go to your control panel, and look for the sounds option. Open the window and verify that your slider is turned up beyond the 0% hash mark and that mute isn't checked.

Back
Top Bottom