My Annual Reinstall

I keep meaning to make an image with Acronis, but I always forget to do it, lol.

For me it's:

WinXP Pro SP3
ESET Nod32
Mozilla Firefox
Flash/Java
VLC
Peerblock
Office 2003
MagicISO/PowerISO
Trillian
SpeedFan
Photoshop CS3

Get JV16 Power Tools, and you won't need to keep re-installing.

Before I ran all the tests, my PC took ages to shut down (around 5 minutes), and I had to manually move my mouse over the task bar to get programs to disappear.

Ran the registry cleaner though within Power Tools, and suddenly, it shuts down on cue every time, first time, with PC health/Registry health now at 100%

It's not free, but it's got a pretty long trial. I suggest you all give it a go

http://www.macecraft.com/

It has honestly sped up my computer 10 fold.

I understand though if you want to clean up programs/software locations etc, because they have gotten a bit messy though

Kage, is anything in the trial disabled? I have a Vista box here at work I'd like to see about cleaning up in a similar manner.

Nope, nothing's disabled. It really did make a massive difference, so it's worth a shot

Great, gonna try it on his system later, thanks. I hesitate to try trialware because of disabled features, etc.

I'm currently only running windows on my laptop which doesn't get hugely abused in this day and age - I haven't bothered reinstalling for a couple of years now. My heavily abused one is a customised Ubuntu build, but never needed to format / reinstall a Linux or Unix box...

That said, for various reasons it might be running windows as well next year so it'll see a bit more reformatting ;) I generally just wipe clean and install when things start to slow down a bit - I haven't got loads of software to load on or anything like that so it's a pretty quick process.

Back
Top Bottom