Album Artwork on Audacity

Chubakke

Solid State Member
So I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with Audacity, basically it is a free sound recording and editing program that can be downloaded online.

It has a feature that allows you to record streaming audio and so I use it to record songs off the interwebz.

So I record the music and export it to my computer. But here is the thing, when I export the track to my computer (as an mp3 usually) I find that when I play the track it has the album artwork as part of the file, and I know for a fact that I never added the artwork in myself. So I was wondering how this could happen.

Any Ideas?

Sup Chubakke,
Most of the players nowadays go out and retrieve this information from the web when you open the file. If you're using Windows Media Player or iTunes then those are definitaly grabbing that info from the net and attaching to the file.

The above is spot on. MP3 is a sound format - it can't store images or any other stuff in it, audacity is merely saving the sound. However, what MP3 does have is ID3 tags (the things audacity prompts you to enter about the name, composer, year etc. when you save as an MP3.)

It's these tags pieces of software use to query an online database containing the album artwork.

Back
Top Bottom