crazy computer build idea

ErdricK

In Runtime
I would imagine it would, but virtually no program would ever use that much resources. A computer with one 5970 a Core i7 and 6 gigs would perform just as well in most applications.

It wouldn't be any better at gaming than a quad core, 3-6GB, machine, as Holysky has stated.

It would be great at rendering/CAD work I guess.

What about running Flight Sims like X-Plane...someone was saying here in another thread that even a high end gaming computer couldnt run X-plane on the Highest settings better than a few frames a second

Actually Supreme Commander would be able to use a system like that. Have you tried to game on a map with 8 players at a 1000 unit cap each on a quad core? Even on a friend's i7 with 8 threads it bogs down.

Getting a system like that for gaming would be silly - you'd notice next to no different since most games these days just about scale over 2 cores. Give it 24 and chances are 22 of those cores aren't going to be doing a damn thing.

There may be exceptions, but that's the general gist of things.

There are however applications where that sort of power would be useful - we've got some similar production machines at work (not quite that powerful, but in the same kind of ball park.) Heavily used servers are the most common candidates - very easily scalable (one thread of execution can be used per request.) Chances are you'll always have more than 24 people hitting this server for what we're using it for so it'll pretty much always be maxed out.

The more home based use would be DVD / Blu-ray encoding. Find an encoding program that scales well enough and it'd rip through a DVD in no time at all!

well, you'd be able to keep it for a few more years than the rest of us without upgrading thats for sure....

Wrong board if you were going about it that way. Evga C-SR2. Less RAM installable, but way better graphics solutions available. It has 7 PCI-E slots :O

Not sure how it divides its PCI-E resources, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom