Six-Core rigs.

So from what I'm gathering is that the race for faster and more powerful hardware has finally slowed down?

I mean, remember back to the days when quad core CPUs started to become commonplace. As soon as the Q6600 came out, people began to snatch them up.

Within months, everyone was running a quad-core rig.

Now, however, no one is really that anxious to move on to hex-cores.

Q9650+5770 is keeping up just fine for me. I'm content with the way games look currently, I just want good gameplay. That's why I still play TF2 and L4D/L4D2.

This rig gives me around the same speeds as my i7 rig did in my games. It was a huge wake up call for me not to spend hundreds on my rig every month.

I'm prob not going do any serious upgrades to my Rig for at least a yr...I mean to be honset my I7 930 at stock blows everything away...I can easily OC It...I generally skip a generation. So like the 6 series GPU I skip I'll get the 7s or w/e they call them.

CPU wise I don't upgrade a CPU unless I start seeing it being my bottleneck. Which ATM it isn;t.

So from what I'm gathering is that the race for faster and more powerful hardware has finally slowed down?

I mean, remember back to the days when quad core CPUs started to become commonplace. As soon as the Q6600 came out, people began to snatch them up.

Within months, everyone was running a quad-core rig.

Now, however, no one is really that anxious to move on to hex-cores.

Because the difference between a dual and quad core was phenomenal. Software just can't utilize the hardware anymore. I went from a 3.0Ghz Pentium 4 to a Q6600. It was a night and day difference for me. I guess people are beginning to realize that a $500 purchase isn't worth squeezing out 4 more frames. I'm sure the economy is playing a huge part in it as well.

I went from my P4 2.0 non HT to my Q66. It, too, was night and day. You're precisely right. People start to see..."ehh...I'll go with the 57xx instead of the 58xx and just OC. It'll be *almost* as good" And Almost is the key.

Had I gone with first instinct, I'd already have 480's in SLI, possibly three. :|

But the times have, in fact, changed Thelis. The hardware is moving a lot faster than the programs that use it. Nothing is requiring that many core. Sure, the makers can code these games for more threads, but it won't show a significant gain.

Even further, Cabbs is right. These companies need to focus harder on gameplay, not graphics. I would *like* some nice looking graphics, but honestly, I want a good game - not just a good looking one. Because that fun only lasts the duration of an hour after first time you look at it.

Even further, Cabbs is right. These companies need to focus harder on gameplay, not graphics. I would *like* some nice looking graphics, but honestly, I want a good game - not just a good looking one. Because that fun only lasts the duration of an hour after first time you look at it.

StarCraft 2. Graphics and Gameplay are outstanding.

If I had money burning a hole in my pocket i'd go and buy an i7 980X.

I'd be good to go for 5 years at least.

Back
Top Bottom