Can I install a 32bit OS on a 64bit system?

theclamps27

Beta member
Hi guys, I have a Packard Bell iExtreme or something like that (not near it at present so dont have specs or anything)

It is currently running on 64 bit windows vista and like most people, me and vista are not getting on.

Would it be possible to install Windows XP 32 bit on this, don't want to spend more money getting a 64bit copy of xp!!

Thanks.

Yes of course man. Not sure what the specs are on it but I would rather get a 64bit Windows 7 on it. I have never had a problem with running in 32bit software on a 64bit Windows 7 OS on it. But yeah, since your doing xp 32bit would be best.

Problem with XPx64 is drivers - there's very few around since the mainstream 64 bit support didn't start until Vista was released. Very few people use 64 bit XP and as such apart from the big manufacturers very few have released 64 bit XP drivers.

Windows XP 32 bit will work fine as long as there's drivers available - just be aware if you've got 4GB of RAM (or more) then you'll only see a little over 3 due to the 4GB memory barrier and other technical restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom