First Time Building a New Computer as Home Project!

Faytz

Beta member
I'm building a new computer to replace my old one, so I need to start from scratch... my budget is around 500 -1500.

My main concern isn't gaming, I want to be able to multi-task on the system. I'll mainly use it for coding, surfing the internet, maybe some old school gaming, video's, streaming, music, school stuff etc...

I'm planning to install two os's on the system (like ubuntu and window 7)... I want it to be fast, and hopefully won't be completely outdated by the time a new window os comes out.

I think I prefer having a quad core over a dual core for the above reasons... I hope this is enough information to get started...

Can anyone recommend me a good built so it's easier to start? I've been looking at different parts for the past two days and all the names and everything is just so confusing...

I've checked out the reference guide and builds on this forum, but since the thread was made two years ago I was thinking it might be outdated by now...

I appreciate all the help, thank you for your time.

I live in Vancouver, BC Canada.

I've been looking on newegg.com for information

Anitec.ca and NCIX.com for parts prices >_>

so far everything I have read seems too complicated and hard to absorb... too many parts, too many pros and cons...

Thanks for your time

When you install Win7 and Ubuntu, you'll want to install Win7 first on the main partition and then Ubuntu on the second partition. The reason you'll want to install Ubuntu second is Win7 doesn't install the bootloader like it's supposed to (micro$oft took away that feature??) and you'll want the grub installed second so you have boot options. For information on how to reorder the Grub (bootloader) and make Win7 the default OS, see my thread on UbuntuForums here.

@InfectionZero: Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I'm not that worried about installing the OS cause I have experience installing window 7 on my mac laptop, and I can always ask my friend about it since she has the same setup on her desktop. Thanks for the info though I'll check out your thread and that forum when I run into problems while setting up.

are you willing to buy from http://www.newegg.ca/

Yes, if the parts I want to buy is cheapest from them.

Back
Top Bottom