Six-Core rigs.

Thelis

Golden Master
When are you guys going to make the jump? I am waiting for more motherboards to be out that can support the newest socket types.

I'm going to wait a little bit, It hasn't been to long ago since I made quad rig. It's faster then I'll ever need it right now

Not for a while unless I need to. I've mostly been playing TF2 and Alien Swarm lately so I don't need extra power.

Considered going Hex core, since my mobo does support AM3, but id still only have DDR2 1066 ram so i wouldn't think its worth it.
Besides, iv got more power then id ever currently need.

I'd think about it... but if someone gave me £500, I wouldn't nessicarily spend it on computer components.

But if I was going to upgrade my rig, i'd probably buy an SSD, and a couple of 2TB HD's to RAID0. And a new case, and maybe a new graphics card... although I dont really have a problem with my current one. I'd probably sell my x2 2GB DDR3 sticks, and replace then with x2 4GB sticks too..

After i'd done all that, I'd consider going hex-core :D

I haven't even had problems with my dated Core 2 Duo rig. There isn't much out to push the limits recently.

As others have said we've got to the point now where there's not a great deal of call for 6 core processors in the consumer market. Sure they'll decode / rip video faster for sure and scale well with other multithreaded applications that can divide their tasks into separate threads easily, but most people just don't do that and for those that do it's a heck of a premium for a bit of a speedup!

Like anything I can imagine the costs will come down in a while which is when many people will consider upgrading - but I doubt I will. Certainly no need for it in my desktop machine since I don't do anything remotely that demanding, and not doing anything (yet) that'd require a server that powerful!

Maybe when X58 boards come down in price and Intel releases a more budget minded version of the 980x. But tbh, I've spent too much on this CPU, mobo, the cooling for it, and the RAM for it to have to switch all of that again so soon.

Back
Top Bottom