My carrrr!!! :D

Remeniz: You can build up an NCD as a named driver with some insurance polices. I know that Direct Line is one of them... there are probably others, too.

It's cheapER, but it can still be rediculously expensive. They wanted £4.5k to insure me on my parents VW Passat! :p

Remeniz: You can build up an NCD as a named driver with some insurance polices. I know that Direct Line is one of them... there are probably others, too.

Wow. I didn't know that. This was about 11 years ago when I went on my dad's policy.

I did some quotes on Money Supermarket.com and Compare The Market.com, and the lowest quote I got once I got my full license was £1,9640 something.
It made it more expensive putting my mum as a driver along side me as the main for some reason, even though shes had no claims for a very long time, and has been driving for 12+ years.

Tried quoting with Direct Line as I heard they were good, and they won't even accept me. I just get 'You are not what we are looking for', and that is it.

My provisional license, I have been quoted to around £1,500, on the 14th August as a start date, which is my 23rd birthday.

Can't seem to get any lower :(

I'll get some pics from my phone in a bit, once I can get the car out of the compound its locked in, haha. We have 2 cars, so mine is behind the other locked up on the drive way.

just as a word of warning...

if you have an insurance policy where your dad is listed as the main driver. and you're just listed as a secondary (named) driver.

but in fact you are the main driver, (e.g. you have more use of the car than your dad).

then the technical term for this is fronting.

it's illegal, it's insurance fraud, it could mean that in the event of an accident your insurance won't pay out, if the insurance company suspects this they'll cancel your policy, and you'll all loose your no claims bonus.
(and you'll have to pay for the claim that the other party might be making against you out of your own pocket, when they 3rd party takes you to court to claim for their damages.

and when you try to buy insurance in the future when they ask if you've ever been refused insurance, or had a policy cancelled in the past you'll have to say yes, and have more expensive policies, for the rest of your life!

probably end up with a conviction for fraud with that too... and then also a conviction for driving without insurance.

bad news,

just get your own license and take the hit on the insurance, it's only for a year!

the first year I started driving my insurance was £1500 a year I paid it in instalments, the next year it went down to £800 then £500.
(actually it might have been more than that, I remember having to pay a huge deposit and then £160 a month instalments).

just as a word of warning...

if you have an insurance policy where your dad is listed as the main driver. and you're just listed as a secondary (named) driver.

but in fact you are the main driver, (e.g. you have more use of the car than your dad).

then the technical term for this is fronting.

it's illegal, it's insurance fraud, it could mean that in the event of an accident your insurance won't pay out, if the insurance company suspects this they'll cancel your policy, and you'll all loose your no claims bonus.
(and you'll have to pay for the claim that the other party might be making against you out of your own pocket, when they 3rd party takes you to court to claim for their damages.

and when you try to buy insurance in the future when they ask if you've ever been refused insurance, or had a policy cancelled in the past you'll have to say yes, and have more expensive policies, for the rest of your life!

probably end up with a conviction for fraud with that too... and then also a conviction for driving without insurance.

bad news,

just get your own license and take the hit on the insurance, it's only for a year!

the first year I started driving my insurance was £1500 a year I paid it in instalments, the next year it went down to £800 then £500.
(actually it might have been more than that, I remember having to pay a huge deposit and then £160 a month instalments).

I'm fairly sure that I'm legal. My dad will be the main driver of the car - He owns the car and uses it the most. There has been quite a lot of stuff about that on the news - at least 1/3 of young drivers are insured illegally :O

Its fine though to simply set myself as the main driver, and my mum as the secondary, but probably because of that, that is why the amount went up £20 or so a month.

As the main driver, I'll be adding up no claims as long as I don't crash, so I'd want that anyway.

Haha, the T came off from the Nissan Micra 'Tempest' at the back somehow, so it'll now be known as a Nissan Micra 'empest'

Here is an image of it :)

I'm afraid to drive it now to be honest. I stalled it around 10 times just getting it out of the compound into the main drive to take pictures, and not to mention having to reverse it back. Freaked me out... as it kept jolting and a lot of stuff like bins, etc to hit. A lot different in feel than the Ford Fiesta I was driving in lesson's.

mycarrrrr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom