Trying to build an affordable gaming rig

I've started taking videos of me putting rebate returns together, and then when they dispute me, I just refer them to the video on youtube. Most companies stop trying to pull a fast one on me after they see the video.

I'll have to try that one out, it sounds like it may actually work. Most of the companies that are hired to handle rebates are paid to cheat as many people as possible.

That's really nice, especially since it allows for a better card then what I have in my planned set-up. Although at this point I really have my heart set on that AMD 3.4 Ghz CPU, plus I really think I can live with a 5770 for the time being, and upgrade at a later point...

I'll certainly keep my eye on what nVidia has to offer in the future. I've always gone the way of AMD and Radeon in my previous computers (not that I've built any myself before), so I guess that's brand loyalty for you.

To be fair the CPU's are pretty similar with the i5 750 performing a little better. Over-clock both and the AMD drops further back. And remember that the i5 750 is a brilliant over-clocker.

Also the GTX 460 beats the HD5770 all day every day and put with the i5 750 you have a much better gaming rig than what you chose previously.

Loyalty aside it's a no-brainer.

So I decided to go for something of a compromise:

MoBo: LINK --> $84.99
Case/OS: LINK --> $184.98
HDD/PSU: LINK --> $144.98
CPU/RAM: LINK --> $236.98
GPU: LINK --> $229.99
CD/DVD: LINK --> $25.99
Cooler: LINK --> $29.99

TOTAL: $937.90
SHIPPING: $18.70
REBATES: $55.00

Plus there's a $10.00 gift card in there somewhere, so if stagger this into two purchases I can take advantage of that too.

GRAND TOTAL: $872.90

Well, for only a few dollars more I can get a better ASUS board that's probably better for what I need... so then, here we go. This should do it, gonna give it a little more time and will probably get these off of Newegg this weekend.

CD/DVD: LINK --> $19.99
GPU: LINK --> $229.99
RAM: LINK --> $95.99
COOLER: LINK --> $29.99
CASE/OS: LINK --> $184.98
PSU/HDD: LINK --> $144.98
CPU/MoBo: LINK --> $234.98

TOTAL: $940.90
SHIPPING: $23.32
REBATE: -$55.00

GRAND TOTAL: $909.22

Back