Desk Prototype (Ultimate Desk Stage 2)

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Well, the program is a go. I'll be getting the money I need soon.

So, now it's time to get to work on this. I'm starting to figure up how much of what as far as materials go that I'll need. I've also worked up a rough 3D rendering of what I want it to look like

DeskFrontProto.jpg

Ok, so the materials are: Twelve 2"x4" (Usually sold in 8 foot lengths at my local store), One 4"x4" (Also 8 foot length) and then two quarter-inch (or more) thick sheets of plywood, which are 4' by 8'.

Both sheets of plywood will be cut in half, making four 2' by 8' sheets. If I want a front bezel, which I'm not sure if I do or not, then I'll take what I cut off the back corner and just move it right to the front, and use some leftovers to secure it (I'm planning on having a lot of leftovers, I can use it for other stuff around the house).

So far, the cost of the desk will be less than $200.

The monitors in the drawing are just some generic 24" LCD monitors I found in Google SketchUp's database. I'm probably going with similar monitors with my next build, which will come shortly after the desk.

The area on the left side is just an idea I had. I may or may not go with it. I may put something similar on the other side.

My next rig will have a full-size tower, so it will be sitting on the floor somewhere.... Hmm.

Make sure you frame underneath the ply wood as well in some way, unless you are getting like 3/4" or thicker plywood, or double up sheets.

I think the left lower corner doesn't need that extra leg in the middle, judging by the size it it should hold just fine. The desk looks nice, I have something similar my self, but I bought my in Ikea.

Hmmm. Well, that leg can go, then.

Alright, superman, when I get the parts, I'll see if I can get 3/4" thick plywood. That might actually be better anyway. Even then, I'll go ahead and add a bit of frame.

I'd say 3/4" ply, but I bet you could get by with 1/2" if you use something better than sheeting grade ply. If you go with that, I'd say 3/4" is what you need.

You know what would look nice, rather than plywood but will cost slightly more? toung-and-groove cedar boards. I made a table out of them, amazingly strong and beautiful with a little stain and varnish.

Or oil them and they'll smell good. But the problem with those is getting food in the cracks... We all eat at the computer.

Yeah, I had that problem with the table a little but its not very bad... The only thing is that the gaps between the boards got bigger over time, due to war page and humidity.. Overall though it looks beautiful, easy wood to work with. Ill get some pictures and post em to show what i mean

38553_1429156881254_1002802084_31077693_2468411_n.jpg
38808_1429157961281_1002802084_31077695_2626589_n.jpg
40192_1429158921305_1002802084_31077697_151578_n.jpg

Make a frame underneath the Ply on the top of the legs instead of the framing on the floor around the bottom of the legs. Looks terrible IMO with it like that.

Make a frame underneath the Ply on the top of the legs instead of the framing on the floor around the bottom of the legs. Looks terrible IMO with it like that.

You really won't notice on the actual desk. Mine is set up that way.

Another thing worth considering is running a thin sheet of plywood about 1/2-2/3 the height of the desk along the entire back or about 2/3rds of the way back. This would allow you to eliminate all legs except two on each side and one at the corner. I also suggest you use plywood instead of legs on each side. If you do it this way, make the surface about 6 inches longer than the frame.

I assume you plan to use a stain and a trim?

also, doors where you have the shelf would be a very nice addition, and it would give more of a furniture feel to it, instead of the 'weekend project' feel.

just some suggestions...

Back
Top Bottom