New phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you use the AT&T navigate software that costs $10 a month, when you can just aquire tomtom 7 with built in maps. That's what I used on my old Tilt.

Why do you need to pay for Data? Just buy a cheap phone, and swap the sim into a phone you bought without a contract. That's what I did, and I have the Tilt 2. They still think I have an LG shine.

Wait what? I said I was gonna use navigon, which costs $70, but has no monthly cost.

And what do you mean with the data thing? AT&T can apparently pick up the IMEI number and will detect that I have an iPhone 4. Someone horo mentioned that in my last thread, and I have confirmed that it is the case. Either way, the only cheaper unlimited data plan is the EDGE-only one for iPhone that I currently have.

Then buy a GPS?

Or I could pay nothing extra to get a phone with a decent built-in GPS, which would give me lots more features such as topographical maps, waterways, etc. Which would also be useful to me. Just makes more sense.

No j03, i would install a new one.

Can't install a new GPS in a phone... The best there is as far as that is the GPS antennas that clip onto older phones.

I just found out my stepdad can get me 10% off the data plan with whatever phone I get. Cool, it'll only be $27.

I'm not sure about the iphone 4, but with my smartphones, I haven't been charged a data plan just because I have one. Actually, some people will get a cheap phone like I said, and sign up from the $15 a month unlimited media net(data for cheap phones), and use it with a smartphone as an unlimited data plan. And with an Android phone, you can unlock tethering as well.

I'm not sure about the iphone 4, but with my smartphones, I haven't been charged a data plan just because I have one. Actually, some people will get a cheap phone like I said, and sign up from the $15 a month unlimited media net(data for cheap phones), and use it with a smartphone as an unlimited data plan. And with an Android phone, you can unlock tethering as well.

huh. I'll have to do some googling, but I know that at&t is very specific about iphones.

and yeah I can tether my current plan as well. /i did it all vacation because it was faster than the hotel's wifi (!!!) and at&t never picked up on it.

The problem with your plan is that I would pay more, even in the course of two years if I went with iphone 4.

Might have to be a jailbroken iphone, idk. My cousins have iphones, one has a 3g, and the other has the original. Neither pay data.

Might have to be a jailbroken iphone, idk. My cousins have iphones, one has a 3g, and the other has the original. Neither pay data.

It's possible to have no data, but the wrong data plan seems to be the problem.

Apparently, AT&T sends this text When they pick it up:

"Your data plan is ineligible for iPhone 3G. To prevent excess charges and enable visual voicemail, contact your telecom manager or AT&T"

So I have checked with AT&T, and Basically no matter what I do, I am stuck with a $30 data plan with a 2 year contract, even if I buy a secondhand phone. So I am just gonna get a brand new one through AT&T. My budget is $200. Currently, I am trying to decide between the Captivate (galaxy s) and iPhone 4. I would really rather the captivate over the iPhone 4 because I am left handed and hate phone cases, and because I really want that AMOLED screen. However, I have heard from a few reviews that the GPS is slow to acquire a signal, and tends to lag quite a bit.

Basically, I am stuck. Any help?

Btw, if anyone has a captivate (ahem, hemp) could you maybe go outside and test how long it takes to acquire satellites? This will be a big part in my decision since I plan to buy the navigon app and use it as a navigator. Btw I will give rep for any help with this.

Thanks in advance.

I had three people who currently all have the iphone 3Gs use my phone the other day and they were all amazed by the sppeds of the Captivate.

This phone has not disappointed me. I have recommended this to 5 people who have iPhones and one of my friends went out bought the Captivate and is now in love with it.

Great phone haha

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/07/21/t-mobile-samsung-vibrant-galaxy-s-gps-issues-fix-tutorial/

Can someone explain to me how changing network settings improves GPS accuracy?

That should mean this is a software bug, right?

Well, as I understand it, there is A-GPS and GPS. The A in A-GPS means assisted. Your phone can use the cell towers & triangulation to figure out roughly where you are. Once your phone knows roughly where you are, it knows the rough position of the GPS Satellites, allowing it to get a GPS Fix in a shorter amount of time.

I had three people who currently all have the iphone 3Gs use my phone the other day and they were all amazed by the sppeds of the Captivate.

This phone has not disappointed me. I have recommended this to 5 people who have iPhones and one of my friends went out bought the Captivate and is now in love with it.

Great phone haha

How is the gps? Have you tried the fix yet?

I never really use GPS unless I am out of town and that doesn't happen very often.

I may go test it soon just to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom