vBulletin 4 discussion thread.

What will be the advantages for this upgrade? I don't think we need to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading.
And who exactly will be writing this wiki?

Most of the newer guys haven't been here long enough to remember anything from years past.
Thelis, I love you, you may be late but you're asking all the right questions!

Imo keeping up with other forums isn't a good reason to upgrade.

Okay what are the advantages to not upgrading?
umm, everyone saves nearly $300 collectively. money that could be spent getting rid of adverts, paying for better hosting, buying components to build a better server.

Also, David doesn't have to do work implementing a new forum, we don't have to make any fundamental changes to the database structure, there's no chance of any data loss.

None, from what I can see.
of course you don't see an advantage to not upgrading, you want the upgrade, you're not going to fight the other corner.

I'm not against upgrading, just like Thelis, I'm asking...

what are the advantages?

is there really not a single advantage past we'll be as cool and up to date as other forums,? -that appears to be the only one listed here...

None at this time. 4.0.5 has some serious issues. It's complicated for those who have not been in the back door. It's server resource intensive. You think you're having server issues now, just wait.
The CMS does 200+ queries just sitting idle.
Mods for VB3.x do not work on VB4.x. And a lot have not been updated.
The user profile customizing is not in the current version and is not slated to return until VB4.1.0.
The stylevar and css setup is more complicated than it really has to be. A lot of customers using VB are not programmers.
VB uses an in house varible system that has little to no explanation about it.
It's outragously expensive. In US dollars the suite is damn near 300.00.
VB does not play well on a lot of shared hosting. Unless you find a good host that is up on VB's needs.
Finicky about what versions of PHP and MySql it will operate with.
And on and on and on...

If ya'll want to upgrade that bad I reccomend doing what I'm doing. Waiting for VB 4.1.0. It promises to:
Clean up the styling system
Fix most of the bugs
More real world usable features

Patients ya'll.

Back
Top Bottom