1978 Ford f150 restoration

Sounds like they have air in the line. Brakes will squeal when the pads are worn as a warning before they ruin the rotors I think.

Yeah that could be it.. diagnosing brake issues are not my strong point ;)
I'm going to bring it for a test drive later tonight, look it over good and possibly bargain with him...
I'm also swinging by the scrap yard to see if i can find a good box for it and get a price.

EDIT: im at the scrappers now (good 'ol cellphone internet) and found a good flatbed. No frills, no bells or whistles, just a steel flatbed on an old '80s ford for $500. A flatbed with a steel toolbox might be good and useful for hauling items for me and the guy's shop business on if I get the F350...
IMG00038-20100510-1751.jpg

Well I got there and checked it all over... its nothing like the picture he emailed me...
-its a big super cab
-the thing looks like its been babied since it rolled off the lot
I took him up on the deal..
Picked it up early this morning and drove it to the scrappers to get the truck bed.. dangerous drive getting back home, we had to just ratchet-strap the bed onto the frame and drive really slow...
Should be a nice work-horse
Here it is at the scrappers parking lot before we strapped her down
1FDWW37P17EA92919-1c.jpg

Sounds like they have air in the line. Brakes will squeal when the pads are worn as a warning before they ruin the rotors I think.

by the time the brakes are squealing the metal is rubbing metal and the rotors are already getting ruined!

usually, there is a small sensor with a little plastic cover, that sits just proud of the metal backing, when the brake pad is wearing low the plastic rubs off the sensor completes a circuit and turns on the brake warning light.

spongy brakes could be air in the lines, leaks in the metal line caused by corrosion, leaks in the plastic hoses causes by the rubber perishing, or even just really old brake fluid.

Back
Top Bottom