New mod in the works: Black Ice

ACES WILD

Daemon Poster
The UPS man came with some goodies from newegg today, Coolermaster ATCS 840 Classic today (megahalems and some fans tomorrow!) A few shots of that sexy atcs 840, and one shot of my old heap.
For some reason mods rigs wont save my info after I enter it, so heres some specs:
i7 920 C0 - currently at 3.14Ghz (going to push much further when new cooler and ram arrives)
6gb patriot viper ddr3 1600mhz
4 x 500gb WD black caviar
1 x patriot ps-100 SSD 32gb
EVGA 8800GTS 640mb(was HD 4850 but that is now sold, waiting on next paycheck to get a GTX 470 then the 8800gts will be physix)
EVGA x58 3x SLI

Desperately needed a new case, check out my temporary workbench that I set up because my new board wouldn't fit in my old mini P-180

IMG_0804.jpg

Front:
IMG_0816.jpg

further back:
IMG_0822.jpg

check out those fans!:
IMG_0817.jpg

Oh but why is it naked? Why is it empty? Well I've got big plans for this big brute of a case. While the brushed aluminum is nice I really just wanted this case for its frame and internals, they're absolutely gorgeous (With a removable mobo tray to boot!). Most if not all of the aluminum panels of the case will be scrapped, I may find something creative to do with that big gravestone-esq front fan cover (thats almost 1/4in thick?!?) but the side panels are extremely delicate. the aluminum is very thin and easy to bend and fells like it weighs little more than a piece of paper. The old panels are going to be replaced with some nice heavy acrylic in two different colors ( A smoke transparent black and an opaque black gloss for the front). Here is a very rough sketch of what I'm planning for the front and top of the case.

Blackblizzardsketchups.png

Like I said this is a very rough sketch and the fans are not to scale, but the dimensions are correct. The layout of the top panel will stay the same for the most part minus the addition of a fan controller / temp display in place of the power and reset buttons and leds that are moving to the front of the case. The top and sides will be a smoke acrylic and the front panel will become a nice high gloss black. The fan blades in the front will be painted a cool ice blue and the blades will be exposed (No front filter).The last thing I have planned for the case will be the painting of the interior. I'm still not sure if I want the frame black, or to keep the aluminum color and go over it with some UV reactive blue clearcoat to glow through the sides. Thats all for now will be getting the final dimensions tomorrow.

More stuff that wouldn't fit in the og post, sorry for double post, not trying to self bump :(.

Some stripped down shots, and the frame and fans getting some paint.

Fans getting some paint:
IMG_0833.jpg

Fans after the blades painted and dry:
IMG_0835.jpg

Stripped ATCS:
IMG_0827.jpg

First round of paint for the frame and mobo tray (ran out of paint getting more tomorrow):

IMG_0832.jpg

Frame is finally done drying and with everything back on the frame it looks pretty nice. Flipped one of my two 230mm exhaust fans to intake to create positive pressure. Did a little overclocking as well, keepin stable at 4.4Ghz on air (on a rev c0) Running a little warm but thats only because my ambient is about 80F.

front

IMG_0836.jpg

innards: ignore the cable mess and the rainbow of SATA cables, will be fixing here shortly when the next round of goodies comes in

IMG_0837.jpg

Flipped fan:

IMG_0838.jpg

4.4Ghz!

numbers.png

Cool to see another person modding their case. You should sleeve the front panel and fan connectors.

nice case mod! I should really do mine some time, ive got two just laying there annoying me by taking up space

Brings back memories on the CM690. Of course, it underwent so many mods, it actually stopped acting as a case and more as a...blanket.

Really nice job on the case. What type of finish do you have on the paint?

Back
Top Bottom