Tracking Internet Logs/Computer with two Internet Cards

Snaze

Beta member
I am trying to figure out how to set this up. This is how I want it set up.

ISP ---> Computer with two cards (One card connected to the ISP/Modem) (The Second Card goes to the Router) -----> Router------ > network (The network as lots of computers on it.)

With the computer with the two cards, I want to be able to track what people are going to for websites. I want to have it set up this way, so I don't have to deal with software on their computers. Also this will make the chance of them getting around it a lot harder.

So my question is how I go around setting up the computer with the two network cards, to be able to do what I want.

ISP -> Server ? That is connected to the internet and then goes out to the router. Ill get back to this later today.

Well it could be ISP -> Server -> Computer

The setup of the first part really does not matter, I need to know how take a cat5 from the ISP, put it in my computer, then have another port or PIC card so that I can have another cat5 cord going to the main network. So the internet has to go through this computer.

what you need is:

ISP -> modem, or ISP's router that they provide or that you bought, (and turn off wireless on this router).

ISP router -> Server plug this in to network card 1, and we call this interface RED

Server from network interface 2 (GREEN) -> Switch.

now you need to either turn on the windows routing and remote access service (to allow your computer to act as a router). or download some other kind of firewall program that might have that built in. or use MS Threat management gateway.

that's if you're using windows.

if you're using Linux as the machine then you need to download some thing like Shorewall, or smoothwall (which are firewall problems) and us IPChains to sort out the routing.

You'll need to configure the firewall on this machine to let web traffic out. and DNS requests out.

Back
Top Bottom