Here's a question

tom-knox

Fully Optimized
If you had half an hour to work on a computer to get it update, faster, more efficient, quieter etc. what would be your plan of action?
What would be your 'to do' list to optimise that desktop PC?
How would a laptop differ?
What if you had an hour?

Just wanted to get an idea of how our ideas differ at CF.

Half an hour:
  • Windows Update
  • Virus Update
Hour:
All the above and....
  • Virus scan
  • CCleaner
  • Defrag

If you had half an hour to work on a computer to get it update, faster, more efficient, quieter etc. what would be your plan of action?
What would be your 'to do' list to optimise that desktop PC?
How would a laptop differ?
What if you had an hour?

Just wanted to get an idea of how our ideas differ at CF.

I would take all the important files, download them to an external hard drive. I would then find the installers for all the important programs and move them to that same external drive. Then I would wipe the hard drive, and reinstall the OS of my preference.

After that I would do a mild overclock of the CPU, then I'd compress all the old files and stick them in a directory on the main drive.

Voila, the computer will be much faster.

Half an hour:
  • Windows Update
  • Virus Update

I thought the point was to make your computer faster, not slower. :)

Wouldn't you doing anything in the way of hardware?

If I had more time...Usually I set my self 2 hours once every so often.
Do what I mentioned above. Then take the case off my machine/s and clean them out.

What do you do?

I would take all the important files, download them to an external hard drive. I would then find the installers for all the important programs and move them to that same external drive. Then I would wipe the hard drive, and reinstall the OS of my preference.

After that I would do a mild overclock of the CPU, then I'd compress all the old files and stick them in a directory on the main drive.

Voila, the computer will be much faster.

I thought the point was to make your computer faster, not slower. :)

A) You seem to be popular
B) You haven't posted for a while so Welcome back :)
C) Re-formatting and backing up files is a 2 hourly job.

A) You seem to be popular
B) You haven't posted for a while so Welcome back :)
C) Re-formatting and backing up files is a 2 hourly job.

A) You seem to be unpopular, or at least your negative rep count implies it.
B) Thank you.
C) I assumed the timing schedules were more or less... flexible, as they always are in the computer industry.

Half an Hour can do a lot.

Troubleshooting- It mostly depends on the specific problem, However, I would most likely Quick Virus scan (Avast,AVG,Malawarebytes, whatever you prefer) , System restore and if that doesn't work, run a Memtest.

Optimizing- I would Defrag and Disk Cleanup. Quick Virus Scan (Again, whatever your favorite one is) and CCleaner would help depending on the computers speed.

If i had an hour

Optimizing- Most likely a virus scan (Avast,AVG,Malawarebytes, whatever you prefer) Disk Cleanup Defragment. Pretty much the same as the other one.

Troubleshooting- Again, It mostly depends on the specific problem...Memtest, Safe Mode Virus scan, CCleaner, System restore, and if that doesn't work i would have to stretch the time and back up/reformat.

Well I did have lots of Positive Rep until 010010 (or whatever his user is) kept neg repping me. He's the only one doing it too. Anyway, back on topic backing up can take awhile too.

Back
Top Bottom