Do you run AV software or not?

Not really. That's what your firewall is for, to stop intruders.

Very true, firewalls are essential even if you believe that you won't be attacked.

AV software is a form of protection while you browse the WWW. And most viruses have to be activated by the user anyway; by opening up files in emails and downloaded files.

If you're an outlook user, the active AV software is a very good idea as most of the attachments are opened (in some versions of outlook) when downloaded so the active virus scanning is a VERY good idea.

Kind of like the 'guide dog for the blind'.

I wouldn't call myself blind, I would say it's more personal preference, I could live without AV software as I know what I'm clicking on and know what sites to allow activeX controllers on, or download from. However, I still choose to have AV software.

Edit: I mainly choose Comodo AV due to it's ability to stop any programs from running or accessing system resources until I give the go ahead, that way if I do download a program that I'm unsure about, I can sandbox it or not allow access to certain system resources.

I wouldn't call myself blind, I would say it's more personal preference, I could live without AV software as I know what I'm clicking on and know what sites to allow activeX controllers on, or download from. However, I still choose to have AV software.

I'm not calling anyone blind it's just my analogy of AV software I guess. And just for the record I use AV software.

:)

don't run a firewall on the machine, -most routers have a decent enough built in firewall now
also don't run AV,

been that way for years and have no problems at all.

if my computer was connected directly to ADSL, or directly to the cable modem so that the computer had a public address, or if I regularly connected to unsecured public wireless points, or ran an unsecured wireless network, or the firewall on the router was dodgy or completely open then I'd have a firewall.

If I made a habit of downloading stuff, or clicking random links then I'd have AV.

Not entirely, hardware firewalls don't do a lot to secure you, you are much better off installing a software firewall, or having the 2 combined.

Yes agreed^
I have Antivir virus software, it tells me if I'm going on a dangerous site and seems to scan everything constantly. It doesn't seem to slow my computer down either.

Not entirely, hardware firewalls don't do a lot to secure you, you are much better off installing a software firewall, or having the 2 combined.

Yea sure. I kind of agree...

I have Antivir virus software, it tells me if I'm going on a dangerous site and seems to scan everything constantly. It doesn't seem to slow my computer down either.

Which is pretty much what AV software does.

I have firewall on my router, I have software firewall and AV software. We hear from those using AV software and which one they use, yada yada, but we don't really hear from those that don't but still run a tight rig.

I don't fully agree that if you don't run AV your computer will die, but it is a very good idea. However, lots of people who use computers see a link that promises freeware or browse around the net allowing all ActiveX controls and wonder what happened to their computer when it is slow and their data has been stolen.

Back
Top Bottom