New motherboard

VINMAN46

Daemon Poster
I was planning on upgrading my motherboard to to something newer but i have a prebuilt machine by Cyberpc the question is would i have to buy a new windows Vista operating system to use my new mobo or can i still use my old and go on with the update

Not likely. OEM operating systems are tied to the physical component PC, including the motherboard.

Just do yourself a favor and get a Retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium or something along those lines, then you can use it on any single PC you have at the time until the next edition comes out.

ill have to survive with my current motherboard if i changed the cpu would i have to get new code

Not necessarily, from what I've read, Windows bases the activation on 10 computer parts and you can theoretically change 9 of them as long as you don't replace the BIOS. I'm sure, however, if you replaced the motherboard and Windows prompted you to reactivate, I'm sure microsoft would allow you to reactivate and give you the activation code. Hell, you might not even talk to a live person. Last time I activated windows over the phone it was a prompt and I just entered the challenge code on my phone and it gave me a new activtion code.

Oh good, I'm not the only one that was thinking that, I just didn't want to get hopes up. I've heard of cases where they'll do it anyway. Microsoft isn't the large beast of a monster many people make them out to be. At least, sometimes they aren't. ;)

i have the keycode on the side of my pc case could i just reactivate with that?

No there's going to be a popup that requires a different key. It will give you like a 50 digit challenge code that you have to call Microsoft with, then they give you an equally long code to activate that copy of windows again. You may be able to get away with an Internet Activation but I doubt it.

Edit: After doing some research you may have to jump through some hoops but it can be done
Read http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistainstall/thread/3cb62f25-1440-4288-86b5-944caae77565/

ill try it and if i have to buy a new one then ill have to buy a new one and get windows 7 while im at it

So I just got done reading my own link :eek: Looks like "According to Micro$$$$$oft" empasis on the $$$$$, a new motherboard is considered a new build.
Here's how it works:
"Specifically, product activation determines tolerance through a voting mechanism," the XP Activation FAQ says. "There are 10 hardware characteristics used in creating the hardware hash. Each characteristic is worth one vote, except the network card which is worth three votes. When thinking of tolerance, it's easiest to think about what has not changed instead of what has changed. When the current hardware hash is compared to the original hardware hash, there must be 7 or more matching points for the two hardware hashes to be considered in tolerance."

Kind of interesting.
Some more information though:
"It's important that people understand the OEM EULA when it says that your OEM Vista (XP is the same) can not be transferred to a new computer, and a new (upgraded) motherboard is also considered a new computer," the system builder added. "I've activated hundreds of PCs over the years and have never had an activation rep ask if I am transferring the OEM software to a new PC. The only question that you must answer correctly (no) in order to receive the activation code is: "Is this version of Windows on more than one PC?". Therefore the end user assumes that since they received an activation code they must be legal."

Moral of this story, it's against the EULA to activate Vista on a new motherboard... again emphasis on the $$$$. While you could technically do it and get it activated, it's still considered piracy :( So you may end up purchasing a new copy of Windows anyway.

If it is OEM then you have to call microsoft to get it reactivated. They'll probably ask you why you need a new activation, tell them that your old MB broke and you had to buy a new one and 99% of the time they'll give you a new code.

Back
Top Bottom