Starting a computer business and need some advice please.

they are indeed
a50f6325-da9c-4f57-96ee-a50.jpg

Next question, in my arsenal for computer tuneup and free utilities, I currently have:
CCleaner
Malwarebytes
Comodo Antivirus
Comodo Firewall
Comodo Internet Security

I'm obviously not going to violate anything by selling these programs but will be using as a service to my customers. I think that I have to purchase a license for the Comodo suite, or do I since it's free? Also, would you recommend any other programs that are good to use for tuneup? I obviously know about all the Windows tweaks to make the system faster, just looking for other free software that will help. Thanks all.

Edit: I'm contacting Comodo regarding their software.

you may be violating the license if you're running these tools on people's computer and charging them.

free for non-commercial use. if you're starting out as a business then suddenly your use is commercial.

and about insurance, even though you're just starting our as a hobby, get insurance.

it's cheap, and easy to get...

and it'll cover you for all kinds of things...

like:
you go to someone's house to setup their PC and there's mud on your shoes, you can pay for a cleaner to come around, but what if they aren't happy with that, can you replace the whole carpet? can you take the time off work if they take you to court to make you pay for the carpet you damaged?

what if you drop someone's PC, can you replace the parts out of your own pocket?

what if you're helping someone out, extending their phone line to their computer desk, what if that goes wrong and you leave a hole in someone's wall? can you afford to have the hole filled, re-plastered and the room redecorated? -probably not, but your cheap insurance can.

Thanks root! You will be rep'd when I can.

You make some very good points regarding the insurance, and I will be looking into it today.

As for the software usage, I have put in calls to Comodo and joined the CCleaner community forum just to make sure.

Have you got any adverts up yet?! ^

I only posted an ad on facebook for now, with some killer deals for my FB friends so I can get some word of mouth advertising. My Printer is out of ink and I'm broke so I have to wait for my school check before I can print up some advertisements and throw them around town.

If you don't mind doing B&W stuff, getting one of those little HP Laserjets like the 1018 is great for just B&W stuff. I love mine, and I only buy toner ($70 or so) maybe once a year. Sure beats $30-$50 every few weeks on an inkjet, but at least they can do color better than a color laser, at least in terms of cost.

Yea I have an Epson Stylus NX 400 and literally, I bought ink for it, did a head cleaning, and now it wants more Ink, so I think I'm just going to invest in a new printer rather than more ink for that think, hell I got it for $25 at a closing circuit city and now I think I know why. Ink for it is $40 and it needs to be replaced almost monthly, it's ridiculous.

I used to support a pro-level inkjet for the 2D art department at that school I worked for - it was expensive as all get out to keep it running. In contrast, the color Xerox laser upstairs in the library was cheap when it came to its toner.

and we're going off course! Quickly Chekov, get us back on course!

I'm a long way away in the UK so others are much more qualified to talk about what sort of prices would be acceptable than me.

I haven't got a whole lot to say other than what's been said - definitely, definitely get insurance though. Especially in this day and age when people have no qualms about suing you for a few million if you get mud on their carpet, it's an absolute must.

Only other thing I'd add is stay friendly, personal and really go the extra mile in terms of customer service. For instance if you have to just go down the road and the fix is as simple as plugging in a cable, consider not charging at all. Always take the time to explain things to people when needed - and keep things as personal and friendly as possible. You need to stand out to succeed in this sort of area these days, and increasingly it's excellent customer service that does the trick rather than really really cheap prices. Word tends to spread a lot quicker about this sort of thing, and that's what's really important to start a small business off in this day and age.

I also have some more advice, once you get a customers ask them to write something about the service they got, and then put it on your website.

Back
Top Bottom