Do you run AV software or not?

Remeniz

Fully Optimized
I know. It seems like one of those stupid questions but there are computer users out there that don't use AV software and have healthy machines.

So do you run AV software or not? And if you don't explain why.

:)

I always use Internet Security software (AV+Firewall)... it's absolutely essential. I was in class last Friday night in introduction to PC's (ZOMG it's a slow class, fml) and there was one cat in there that said he had a virus and lost all kinds of personal data. Then the instructor asked if there's anyone in the class that didn't run AV software and guess who raised their hand... I was totally shocked but I guess some peeps just don't know about the perils of leaving your computer unsecured.

I guess that same person downloaded unknown files and opened up dodgy links in e-mails too without so much as a thought for what the files actually are.

As long as you take some standard precautions you actually can live without AV software, right? And you can instead install a non-residential scanner for those rare occasions that you come across something you suspect.

Infact I think a firewall is more important than AV software, where the latter is like a sat' nav' for motorists; If you know where your going you don't need it.

EDIT:

I've just tested the voting on this and realised that you can vote more than once and anyone on the WWW can vote. Is there a way I can change this?

I went 4+ years without AV protection or firewall, aside from Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.

Never had a problem, although like previously said, you have to know where you're going and surf sensibly. Now I run NOD32.

I went 4+ years without AV protection or firewall, aside from Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.

Never had a problem, although like previously said, you have to know where you're going and surf sensibly. Now I run NOD32.

In the 4 years without AV software did your machine suffer in any way?

Twas quick as a whistle, lol.
The only reason I'm not using the laptop anymore is because it got fucked up when they cat chewed through the power cord. :D

lol. What a cat!

Why have you started using AV software? NOD32 by the way is pretty much one of the best out there.

I don't mean to interrogate i'm just trying to evaluate why so many people instantly state that 'you must use AV software or your computer will die' when clearly, as in your previous case, it wasn't necessary.

It could be just as easy to teach computer users, in schools, to be savvy when surfing.

As stupid as it sounds...I was bored.

I was just sitting at my computer and figured, Hey! Let's make the computer really really secure! So I did. lol

AVG free + Zonealarm free firewall. Seems stupid to use a computer without an anti-virus (Especially if it is connected to the internet)

...Seems stupid to use a computer without an anti-virus (Especially if it is connected to the internet)

Not really. That's what your firewall is for, to stop intruders.

AV software is a form of protection while you browse the WWW. And most viruses have to be activated by the user anyway; by opening up files in emails and downloaded files.

Kind of like the 'guide dog for the blind'.

Back
Top Bottom