Starting a computer business and need some advice please.

Next question, in my arsenal for computer tuneup and free utilities, I currently have:
CCleaner
Malwarebytes
Comodo Antivirus
Comodo Firewall
Comodo Internet Security

I'm obviously not going to violate anything by selling these programs but will be using as a service to my customers. I think that I have to purchase a license for the Comodo suite, or do I since it's free? Also, would you recommend any other programs that are good to use for tuneup? I obviously know about all the Windows tweaks to make the system faster, just looking for other free software that will help. Thanks all.

Edit: I'm contacting Comodo regarding their software.

super anti-spyware. It helped remove alot of stuff! Also try eusing registry cleaner. It usually picks up ALOT of registry errors.

So here's the new ad:
Ad-2.jpg

Think the bold letters are cheesy?
Should the picture of the CPU get ditched?
Should my picture get ditched?

I haven't read the entire thread yet, so forgive me if I repeat something that has already been said.

1. What services do you offer and how much do you charge?
I was thinking of the following
A. Computer speed optimization: $25
B. Custom computer building: $150
C. Data backup and reformat: $75
D. Computer networking and file sharing: $100
E. Upgrading the Operating System: $50

2. What other services do you suggest?
3. What about your business model would you change if you could?

1. I have not offered computer services. All I have done is help out friends and family, free of charge. A few people have suggested that I opened one, but I didn't want to commit. These are the prices I would charge:

A. $20
B. $50 (I would charge $25 for cable management)
C. $40
D. $75 (plus any hardware costs)
E. $20 (plus cost of OS)

2. Computer-cleaning. It is a very tedious job, but I think you'd be surprised how many people would pay if you explained all the cons that come with a dusty computer. I would charge $15 for a quick clean and $30 for a thorough clean (plus $25 if they wanted cable management). Computer repair. I would charge $20 (plus any hardware costs). I would also suggest overclocking if you're good with it. I don't know how successful this would be nor do I have a good price you could charge them.

3. N/A

**You can see that my prices are significantly lower than yours. Items A, C, and E require essentially hardwork. Item B is something we all enjoy doing. Plus, for an extra $150 they could just have Dell or HP build them one and they would have like 3-year warranties. Item D is really important and key. Yes, it is the most expensive of all because you'd have to include tech support. If something simple happens so that their internet is down, they'll blame you. If you have a tech support line, you can help them. You could advertise this service with free on-site tech support for a year. After a year you could just say free tech support by phone for the next 2 years. You'll have to get creative.

edit: So I have just read the entire thread. I have some additional comments to make. At first, I was under the impression that you wanted to do this as a full time job, in which case my prices may have been a bit low. The prices I listed will make you unbeatable when it comes to cost, especially if you do a good job. Word will spread, business will grow. Like said earlier (I'm sorry I can't credit this to the person, I forgot who said it), you can raise prices after you have high demand.

I would not recommend using Comodo. Comodo is very specific about which programs and processes they let you run and which you don't. When in doubt, there's always a pop up box asking the user permission for a program or process to access something. I would recommend AVG Free 9.0 + CCleaner. It will be simple enough for your average user to know how to work and it does the job. Just make sure to tell them to be weary of sketchy websites.

BUSINESS CARD! Giving people a business card allows them to use the information on that card, or the card itself, to give to friends. Word of mouth will probably be your best advertiser early on. Don't be hesitant to use social medias like Facebook and Twitter to get the word out.

I have never used AVG Free, but I'll make note of that to include. I can understand what you're saying about Comodo with all the popups, so I'll most likely install, run Comodo (just a trust thing), then uninstall and install AVG for the user.
I also understand what you're saying about the custom built PC, but I do like what dude_56013 said too about doing a percentage scale. The higher the build, the higher the markup and yes, I will most definitely enjoy this!
My wife is a hater!! Yea babe I said it, you're a hater and doesn't think this idea will be lucrative at all. The point of that statement is, I have to pinch penny's for the startup, so I can't get business cards until I make some money from the business first.
I already have a few friends whose computers I've worked on (grammar?) spreading the word for me, I offered a referral fee but they both declined saying they would give my number out for free to their friends because their machines are still purrin like new. So I already have a some satisfied customers. (Don't have much here because I'm not originally from Colorado)
Thanks for the idea on the computer cleaning and cable management! I will be implementing both!
Next on the agenda, download all the files I need and create my tuneup thumb drive.
Thanks again for all the tips. You have been rep'd my friend along with all the other helpful posts!

Facebook ads created!

Thank you for the rep.

The percentage scale is a great idea. I meant to touch on it, but I ended up forgetting. I would do a hybrid. Have a base rate, but add a percentage depending on the build. For example, instead of doing a 10% scale, you could do $50 base-rate + 5%. I recommend this because if do a $250 build, your time would almost be wasting. You could also choose to implement the percentage scale after a certain price. For instance, when builds reach prices of $500+ you add a 5% scale to the $50 base-rate. You have a lot of options. Try to get input from your friends on what they would pay. Having opinions from people without the know-hows could also be very valuable.

Assuming you can build a computer comfortably in 2 hours, you'd be average $25/h, which, in my opinion, is pretty damn good for a hobby.

I like the ad, and your pricing structure beats the hell out of me. Stay up north would ya? :) I don't run a business however, just freelance, and I charge a flat rate for everything, with a percent model on new PC builds, so I think, as long as you have your costs under control, you have a great model.

Oh and I'd keep the cheesy CPU pic. ;)

lmao Don't worry, don't plan on leavin Eaton for a while. Thanks for the input! I'll rep ya when the system allows me to, I went through and pos rep'd everyone who posted input in the thread so the system put me on rep lockdown for 24 hours :/

It's great that your grammar is in line. I see so many folks like you down here that try to start up something like this and they do things like "Make you're computer run faster and clean unecesary files from you're computer" and it just drives me up a wall - can't believe people get business with such gross spelling errors sometimes.

Those folks are script kitties anyways, not in the true sense of the term Script kittie... but I know of a few, less than stellar human beings, who just run pirated versions of TuneUp utilities and think they rock at computer repair. Quite humorous actually.

Back
Top Bottom