Starting a computer business and need some advice please.

Would it be better to charge by the hour? That way you don't charge someone who's problem is a 20 minute fix the same as someone where you end up spending 60+ minutes (with a minimum of 1/2 hour charge)?

I don't want to charge by the hour, because what if it's a simple fix and it takes me hours (you know what I'm talking about, those stupid little things you glaze over on a repair).

I'll right align the text and see how that looks. I want to keep the ad pretty simplistic, so I'm not going to throw a lot of pictures on there. Just a picture of me so they know I'm not some freak wanting to intice people to my home haha

Wha???? I just to do this as a hobby, I know that I need to file taxes for the income earned but do I really need a biz license and insurance?

Wha???? I just to do this as a hobby, I know that I need to file taxes for the income earned but do I really need a biz license and insurance?

A business isn't a hobby. You'll need to keep records of all the transactions you do and file your income. If you don't you'll have the IRS breathing down your neck in no time.

As for the comment regarding "centering your text". The way you have it looks fine. I build and maintain several sites and use similar formatting for simple descriptions.

Whoops I just realized what he was talking about. Fix the part above your pricing descriptions where it starts with "Thorative Solutions". That looks completely out of place the way you have it now.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1049873 said:
A business isn't a hobby. You'll need to keep records of all the transactions you do and file your income. If you don't you'll have the IRS breathing down your neck in no time.

I get that, I will keep track of all transaction but do I need a business license to start out? That's my question, I have a full time job so it really is just gauging the market to see how much money I could potentially make, and then I would obviously move forward with becoming fully licensed and insured if the money is there.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1049873 said:
Whoops I just realized what he was talking about. Fix the part above your pricing descriptions where it starts with "Thorative Solutions". That looks completely out of place the way you have it now.

What do you mean fix? Align that left?

If you're just starting out you could probably get away with no license. If you start making some decent side income you'll need to start keeping track of things though.

For the fix, just left align the text. I'd recommend leaving the heading "Do you need computer repair?" then put the "is your computer running slow" in you company intro paragraph.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1049877 said:
If you're just starting out you could probably get away with no license. If you start making some decent side income you'll need to start keeping track of things though.

For the fix, just left align the text. I'd recommend leaving the heading "Do you need computer repair?" then put the "is your computer running slow" in you company intro paragraph.

Cool thanks, I'll make some changes when I get home and post the new ad. Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Just thought i'd ask here...

Do I need qualifications or could I literally just start up a build/repair service?

No qualifications needed, they might help to get work, putting stuff like that on your business cards, but there not a requirement

Obviously you need to know what you're doing

Back
Top Bottom