Help/Advice/Reviews on NAS?

steveoderocker

Baseband Member
Hey All!

I just wanted to ask people on the forum if they had any experience or reviews for the Western Digital My Book World Edition NAS. ---> http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=587

I am looking so a NAS to replace my SAN - A Netgear sc101t. Main reason is it is not compatible with Windows 7 :( I was looking at some drives and this one seemed good. Any advice? Any Recommendations?

Thanx All!

:D

I use the NEC NAS-100 Speed Dragon. I'm not sure if NEC is still in the NAS game but you might want to check. I've had 2 for several years and no issues. Both have kissed the floor several times and keep right on ticking.
There shouldn't be a OS dependant compatibility issues with any NAS. You either go in on USB or network connection.
Only advise is to shop carefully. There's some serious garbage out there.

There shouldn't be a OS dependant compatibility issues with any NAS. You either go in on USB or network connection.
Only advise is to shop carefully. There's some serious garbage out there.

Hey,

Well technically, Netgear was mis-selling (i guess thats what you call it) the sc101t as a NAS when in actual fact it is a SAN - and the software it not compatible with Windows 7 - believe me, me and about 200 over the net on forums have tried. Alough there are work arounds for the 32 bit version - i intend on getting 7 64 bit. :(

And yeah, i have to shop around. That's why i wanted to see if any one here used the My Book World Edition. To see how it preforms, etc.

I will have a look at the NAS you suggested setishock.

Thanx!

....I was thinking more in the direction of buying a NAS. After reading some more reviews about the WD My Book - it it pretty much capped to a speed of 3-5 MB/s. At least ATM my sc101t can get upto 11 MB/s.

Any idea's guys?

:S

Thanx!

I'd check on craiglist for free/cheap P4 machines and then stick a new hdd into it and then install freenas. Thats what I'm doing with my dads old c2d after i build him a new computer.

Back
Top Bottom