How unsafe is public hotel wifi?

VonStrangle

Beta member
I'm a complete noob so I don't know anything about computers.

I read that with sniffer programs people can easily steal usernames and passwords when you're using public wifi. But what about images and video? How and how easily could someone see/capture things like:
Skype Video Call
Skype Video Snapshots
An image file sent through Skype
Images on the harddrive, showing on the screen

...if you did them on public wifi? :confused:

Thanks in advance everyone.

You should have a look for some free VPN's that will help keep you protected, or install ZoneAlarm free firewall, it's great and I use it on my netbook.

You should have a look for some free VPN's that will help keep you protected, or install ZoneAlarm free firewall, it's great and I use it on my netbook.

Alright, thanks. I read about those. I didn't know there was any free ones. I'll look into that. I still want to know the question I asked, Im unfortunately asking in retrospect.

To answer your question, it is not very safe at all. When I went on a trip to NZ I used hotel wifi all the time, and I had activated a VPN to my home computer back in Australia so all my data was secured from hackers (and skiddies)

To answer your question, it is not very safe at all. When I went on a trip to NZ I used hotel wifi all the time, and I had activated a VPN to my home computer back in Australia so all my data was secured from hackers (and skiddies)

But more specifically, how easily can someone access the stuff I listed. Because when I read about how unsecure public wifi is, all I see is stuff about people stealing account passwords and other text info.

I admin our hotel wifi and here's what I tell my front desk and guests.
This network is public therefore unsafe to do anything on. Use it at your own risk. Do not do your banking on this network. Do not use your credit cards on this network.

So in light of that I would recommend not doing any more than surfing the web and maybe checking your emails.

I admin our hotel wifi and here's what I tell my front desk and guests.
This network is public therefore unsafe to do anything on. Use it at your own risk. Do not do your banking on this network. Do not use your credit cards on this network.

So in light of that I would recommend not doing any more than surfing the web and maybe checking your emails.

Some hotels require you to put in a credit card to buy access to the net, but to answer your question it's not safe at all. A good firewall should protect you but I would not advise putting sensitive information through the network.

Back
Top Bottom