Unsure about why I cannot do this

tvellalott

Beta member
I think this is the right thread, but not certain.

I am building an ASP.net website which will run on an offline network. The website revolves around keeping files and folders very well organised...
The website has hyperlinks which point back to the computer's network folders (Ie. href file:///c:/whatever/)
While it is development mode, I cannot open c:/ (which is the home drive) folders but I can open h:/ (a network drive).
However, once the website is loaded into IIS and ran through the localhost, no folder links work, regardless of what drive they are pointed at.
I am certain this has to do with user rights on these drives, I just have no idea what to do. :/

You'd have to set permissions on the folders/drives you're using to allow access for the hosting account. If the drives don't contain anything super important, you could grant access to everyone, but that's just a security nightmare waiting to happen. I toyed around with this once, but went back to just giving users the full path and teaching them how to use it. I'd love to hear feedback on this particular problem as well.

Back
Top Bottom