Please Read.

@Lowndsey (sorry, but I'm not even going to attempt a quote because it took 5 minutes for this page to load the way it was): I completely understand your frustrations on the mod side of things. I mean, what use is there to put effort into something that basically doesn't work. You have no idea what a tremendous amount of respect I have for you and all mods here. I would get so sick of dealing with some of the things and some of the people (spammers and flamers, more or less) here and keeping my cool...and still wanting to come back. So +1 to you, my friend.

I don't think I would say that David doesn't 'care',

I agree. I don't think you can own a forum for 8 years without caring. I just think after 8 years he tends to procrastinate on the things that need doing and put them off.

I do agree some things need changing, like right now it has taken minutes for this page to load, not good really at all, I havent been here as much as normal as it seems like every second time I come here it either white screens or takes ages to load.
I agree I dont think it is that David doesnt care, it may just be that he doesnt have to time to dedicate to it anymore, but changes really do need to be made.

I have to agree with this cause I came here for the same reason. But I feel a sudden anti-climax when I come here and it's slow/unusable or there's no one about.

It's really good to come here and see quite a few users on line. This just isn't happening a lot anymore.

CF reminds me of the computer I had back in 2007 when I joined; It did the job but was slow and eventual and subsequently 'used less', until I upgraded to a faster 'usable' more practicable machine.

:(

Shame really but I will continue to come back in the hope of seeing a resurrected CF.

The forum is getting so slow that I have to type out my replies in notepad and paste them in to the forum since I have no idea if it will go through or not. 90% of the time the site will not load at all. I really hope something is being done to remedy this issue and make this forum enjoyable again.

Another post failed.......

My refresh button is getting more action than my wife now.

I've been here a little over 3 years. This is the only forum that I've been a member of that long. Though I haven't been completely active in posting throughout all of that, I come here several times a day to see if there's anyone I can help.

When I joined back in June 2007, this place was number one in Google. I am proud to say that this place is still number one. However, in order to maintain that image, we need to make some drastic changes.

We need to cater more to everyone and not just the members we have now. I see very few members that come back for more. Most of our veteran members have been here for years and years, but how come we rarely see newer members come along for the ride? It's mostly someone coming in to ask one random question and then leaving. I hate that fact.

One thing that has been proposed many-a-time is a Wiki or a FAQ section. I stand behind this 100 percent and would be happy to lend my expertise working on one. This would nearly eliminate those one-time visitors because they'd have quick access to the information.

Another proposition I've noticed is even more mods. I don't know how I feel about this. Our mod team does a fine job now, but there is almost no possible way to have a mod on 24/7/365. In the past, I've suggested having at least one mod for each time zone represented in the forum to leave almost no gaps. That would be a sure-fire way to keep most of the spammers away, but there still would be problems.

But right now, the most important is a Vb or server update. We need a much better, faster server to handle this forum and have absolutely no downtime. Look, there have been servers up for months on end with not even a second of downtime, yet this place can't even go a few days without logging some.

Long story short: This forum is stuck in the past. I have seen almost no changes since my join in 2007. Though downtime isn't quite as bad as it was back then, it's still ridiculous. We need to find ways to keep members around, and I think updating everything would be the first step to take.

OK firstly I'd like to say I do still care despite what people may think.

Personally I haven't had a white screen for 6 months on here so I've never really found it a problem.

To demonstrate that I do care, as everyone seems to want it so bad I'm willing to upgrade to vb4. It appears the license is $195, so lets see if we can get some donations in to paypalpayments@lindonnetworks.com

Edit:

After looking into it, I think the publishing suite might be the best option ($285), this allows a load more options such as wiki articles etc. Have a look http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=screenshots

I appreciate what people are saying - though honestly I've never had a huge issue with downtime or speed. Perhaps I'm just lucky with timings, perhaps it's because I'm in the UK (or a bit of both) but I haven't noticed nearly as many issues as people on here seem to be having.

Perhaps this forum does need things doing to it but I wouldn't jump to saying david doesn't care. Sometimes people have more commitments than usual and things end up taking a back seat for a while... that's just natural.

Back
Top Bottom