Please Read.

I Joined this forum back in 2006. 4 Years ago.

I Joined because at that point in my life (I Was 13) i realised i wanted to fix computers as my career but i knew squat. So i jumped on my dialup and went on a search from a computer forum. I Came across a couple but i chose this one because everyone was so welcoming. I Slowly gained more and more knowledge and i eventually built my first PC,then started my own business and now im almost finished my Cert III in I.T Support with flying colours. I Learned SO Much from this place and the people that populate it,you guys are like family.

As time went on more and more people left (Or were banned), the forum software and feature set became outdated, the server crashed more and more and every second new member is a spammer. This saddens me because i care for this place because i have been here for quite a while and i have learned pretty much all i know from this place. If you type in computer forums into google we are number 1 for god's sake.

Why dont we have alot of new members sticking around? Why have members left? Why is this forum unreliable?

Because the admin doesnt care. There i said it, you all where thinking it. If david cared this forum would be on a reliable dedicated server,many users have offered to help pay for it. The forum software would be updated,many users have offered to help pay for it. The internet is changing and we are still stuck in 2002.

/rant.

It's not a rant, Neo, it is the truth and a reality.

For others not "friends" with us, we have been discussing this on Facebook. (Neo and Sniper mainly).

For one, this server stuff has got to end. My website costs me next to nothing to run and I the service I have it through has a 99.9% up-time guarantee. I've never experienced my personal site being down.

Two, this VB needs to be updated badly.

Three, this site needs to be proofread again. There spelling and/or grammatical errors that make it unprofessional.

Four, the cheesy links that just 404 at the bottom of the page need to be removed. If the idea is to draw this site to other site's of David's, so be it..it's his choice as admin, but shouldn't they at least work and be current? I remember checking them when I first joined and they seem to be exactly the same today.

Five, I love everyone here to death (and I truly mean that), but it seems like there's no love for the upkeep of this site. Complacency kills a forum.

Six, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with Neo. David doesn't seem to care much anymore. When that happens, I don't find it very appealing to just leave this corner of the interwebs "hanging." Either pour your heart into something like this, or pass it over to someone who will.

And there is my 2 cents, stated very nicely.

I know this is going to stir emotions, and a lot of the more tenured members may have a problem with what is going to be said in here, but I urge the moderators to keep this thread open and let people respectfully voice their opinions. If someone is saying something disrespectful, edit their post or send them a PM...don't close the tread. There is some things that need to be said in here.

Thank you.

I agree with what everyone here has said. esp Neo, if only you all could imagine how much iv learned here...

Letting this place rot like it seems to be starting to is just as bad as letting the ancient Libraries burn with all there infant knowledge...

If it really needed it, and if David thought it would be the better for all. He could always pass the torch.

And please, no fighting in this thread. keep it CIVIL

Hell, i cant even post images to the site without hyper-linking them and i cant give Rep either...

I completely agree, with you two on the knowledge front. I would have never EVER been able to gain enough knowledge on my own to start my computer business (even though it's very low key). For that I am eternally grateful to CF and the members who have gone out of their way to help others. The hospitality on this forum is unmatched by most others.

I agree the server is rubbish. Fair enough it works a lot of the time but really it should work all the time. The spelling doesn't bother me that much but really it wouldn't take 5 minutes to fix so there is no reason it shouldn't be fixed. I can take or leave the vb update personally, I quite like this style but being out of date chances are it is contributing to all the problems with downtime so it should be updated. And another thing I find annoying which only impacts the mods and that is the admin panel is such a chore in this version (I don't know if it any better in the later versions or not but I am going to assume it can't be any worse) it takes 50 million mouse clicks and a copy and paste to ban a spammer. And that's if you're lucky enough that it loads. A lot of times I try to check an IP address it just doesn't work and I give up.

Even Iv started a little PC repair personal business thanks to this place, had 2 customers in 2 weeks, Hot Dam! lol

Right at this moment there are white screens happening everywhere, icons not loading and avatars half loading. I don't even bother coming here a lot of days cause it is just too annoying.

I don't think I would say that David doesn't 'care', it's probably more along the lines of him just not remembering the forums. But honestly, I can agree - Pass the torch if it's a burden or you really /don't/ care.

I don't even mean this in the least bit of sarcastic ways, to anyone who thinks I might.

I'm not a tenured member, but I've seen this sort of sentiment repeat itself in the past.

Just search the archives.

Back
Top Bottom