Computer Won't Boot!!

stuiedaman

Baseband Member
I had gotten the Anti-Malware Doctor virus on my computer. I ran Malbyte's Antimalware and deleted the viruses. I went to restart my computer and after it asks XP Home Edition or Recovery Console, it goes to the screen that says Windows did not start successfully. If I choose start windows normally it freezes, if I choose last known good configuration, it goes to a black screen, and if I choose any safe mode it get stuck on loading isapnp.sys. I have a lot of music and programs I do not want to lose, so I don't want to restore my computer! What do I do? Thanks for looking!

Can you boot into safemode?

He said his computer can't load isapnp.sys. Did you back up your files on another external hard drive or through an online backup site like Carbonite? If you didn't you are pretty much out of luck. :(

To replace the Isapnp.sys file in Windows XP, follow these steps:
Start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or a multiple-boot computer, type the number that corresponds to your Windows XP installation when you are prompted to select the Windows installation to log on to, and then press ENTER.
When you are prompted for the Administrator password, type the password, and then press ENTER.

Note If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys isapnp.old
Note The steps in this article assume that you installed Windows XP to the C: drive. The actual location of your Windows installation may vary.
At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
expand cd-romdrive:\i386\isapnp.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys
For example, type:
expand d:\i386\isapnp.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers
After the file is successfully expanded, type exit, and then press ENTER to exit Recovery Console.
Restart the computer.

Try that.

One should have come with your computer. If you don't have one, call the manufacturer of the comp and see if you can get a replacement disk.

If you do a Google search for Windows Xp Recovery CD, there's a few sites that offer shareware to make a crack copy of an XP Recovery CD. I wouldn't recommend this though as I have not tried it, I don't know if those 'crack' CD's are even legal, or if they contain the files you need.

Your best bet is the computer manufacturer or a friend who owns an XP cd as you're not installing the system, merely getting drivers from it so that's not illegal.

Back
Top Bottom