Gaming build and a few questions...

Cazelo

Baseband Member
So this is my final build, I plan to order it in the next month or so.

Case: Rosewill Destroyer

Monitor: Hanns G 20"

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

PSU: Antec 620w

Memory: G.Skill 4GB DDR3

Mobo: MSI P43-C51

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66 GHz

Hard Drive: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB SATA

I already have a keyboard and a mouse.

I plan to run Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Borderlands, Virtua Tennis 2009, etc.

EDIT: Changed E5300 to a Core 2 Quad Q8400, everything else is the same.

Questions:

-Will I be able to play those games without problems (doesn't have to be at full settings)?

-Will I need a heatsink (no OC)?

-Will I need a heatsink if I want to OC my CPU (no more than 3.5GHz)?

-What is Crossfire support?

-Is my PSU (620w) enough to power my computer?

-Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

As far as I know.

Crossfire is similar to a Dual core processor.
Using 2 ATi video cards at once to lighten the load and render multiple things at once.

Please someone, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still stuck in the stoneage of 128mb video cards ;D

-Will I be able to play those games without problems (doesn't have to be at full settings)?

Yep.

The stock heatsink will do.

Definitely.

It's ATI's solution to multi GPU scaling. Up to 4 GPU's can be used to improve graphical performance.

Yep. I'm running 650W with an i7 set up. 620W's plenty.

-Any suggestions?

The LGA 775 CPU's are old hat now and although they offer some very good CPU solutions, Q6600 :), the LGA 775 has little future.

Have you considered an AMD AM3 set up?

Edit: Dang it Remeniz, you beat me to it!!

Will I be able to play those games without problems (doesn't have to be at full settings)?

Yes, you'll be able to play the games just fine.

Will I need a heatsink (no OC)?

Stock one will do.

Will I need a heatsink if I want to OC my CPU (no more than 3.5GHz)

Absolutely, I would go with a water cooling kit if you have the budget.

What is Crossfire support?

Crossfire is linking two video cards to split the processing power of displaying your video, for gaming you'll be just fine with what you have listed.

Is my PSU (620w) enough to power my computer?

I would go with a little higher but you shouldn't have any problems with 620W

Yes, I would change the processor to a Core 2 Duo though. The E7xxx is a great series.

Nope. Processors that are not Black Edition or OEM come with stock heatsinks.

Yes, if you want to overclock you'll more than likely need a heatsink. The Thermaltake Ultra 120 and the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 are great options.

Crossfire, like SLI, is a bridge that links 2+ video cards, which must be the same, so they operate in unison for increased performance.

Yes

-Any suggestions?
Upgrade the processor to a Core 2 Duo E7xxx. The E7500 is a great choice. You could also upgrade the hard drive to a WD Black Caviar or Seagate Barracude .12. They're supposed to be one of the fastest 7200RPM drives in the market.

Thank you in advance.
You're welcome.

Have you considered an AMD AM3 set up?

Actually, yes I have...What would you recommend?

Also, I'm getting mixed opinions here. Will the heatsink that comes with the CPU be enough to keep the computer cool? And what resolution will I be able to play the games I listed at (lowest, low, medium, high, full)?

Thanks again for your input.

Sorry to bump my own post, but I forgot to tell you that I have about 750$ to spend, not including the monitor. I am thinking about replacing my 19" monitor to a 23" one, will I need to make any changes?

Yes, I would change the processor to a Core 2 Duo though. The E7xxx is a great series.

Nope. Processors that are not Black Edition or OEM come with stock heatsinks.

Yes, if you want to overclock you'll more than likely need a heatsink. The Thermaltake Ultra 120 and the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 are great options.

Crossfire, like SLI, is a bridge that links 2+ video cards, which must be the same, so they operate in unison for increased performance.

Yes

Upgrade the processor to a Core 2 Duo E7xxx. The E7500 is a great choice. You could also upgrade the hard drive to a WD Black Caviar or Seagate Barracude .12. They're supposed to be one of the fastest 7200RPM drives in the market.

You're welcome.

all 3 of you posted samething

Sorry to bump my own post, but I forgot to tell you that I have about 750$ to spend, not including the monitor. I am thinking about replacing my 19" monitor to a 23" one, will I need to make any changes?

extra ?

Back
Top Bottom