Stock Trading

I might invest a small amount (by small, i mean like £20, tops) in a small company that I think has a future.

Ok let me explain. It is not illegal to have a stock account when you are young. I am now 13 and I have and Etrade account. Second, the best time to buy was very recently, (yes the recession) while everyone is yelling that the sky will fall and the economy will collapse smart investors like Warren Buffet buy more. If everyone is convinced that next week the stock will no longer exist they panic and sell in a frenzy. Take Ford for example, even though they recieved a government bailout the company had a strong base that kept it secure. The stock itself dipped to 3.00 but very easily rose to where it is now at 11.00.

I might invest a small amount (by small, i mean like £20, tops) in a small company that I think has a future.

$20 ain't going mean anything in the stock market, trading fees will knock a lot of that $20 out anyways. Save up and do at least $500

Ford never received a gov bailout, ever. They received a line of credit which they didn't use.

$20 ain't going mean anything in the stock market, trading fees will knock a lot of that $20 out anyways. Save up and do at least $500

Ford never received a gov bailout, ever. They received a line of credit which they didn't use.

Ok I messed up my facts so thank you for correcting me.

However, I invested 50$ with Citigroup and turned it into 200. Better yet 20 dollars into AIG at 1 dollar could turn into 700 dollars if you sell it now.

In that case, the stock market isn't for me. I wouldn't want to invest £100+ unless I was fairly sure that I was going to at least get my money back.

Well then investing in the stock market probbably isn't for you. Investing comes with the posibility of great returns and losing it all. Probbably if you wanted to invest in anything an ETF would be best.

In that case, the stock market isn't for me. I wouldn't want to invest £100+ unless I was fairly sure that I was going to at least get my money back.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, split into a number of companies and sectors if you want better returns. Otherwise put it in the back and accept the interest rates.

Originally Posted by j03

If you were at least guranteed your money back every man and his dog would be investing every penny into it.

There is some risk, as with anything. You can minimise the risk by doing research, and investing in a company thats stable and solid, but then because of the little risk, there is little chance of big gains due to their stability, and lack of activitiy.

If thats the case, just get the interest as david said. Again, maybe throw a few little £20, into a few companies, as long as you are happy enough losing the money, you will be fine

The war machine is another good investment. I have shares of Lockheed Martin. I'm looking at investing in General Electric. The boat division builds nuke subs.
Coke and Pepsico are a couple of others worth looking at. As diversified as both companies are, they always have a demand for their products.

Just watch out for the 2 for 1 splits. That waters down the face value of each share while making it look like you have more shares. You do have more shares but each is worth less than the one you had to start with. They do that to keep from having to pay out dividens when the market is low or the company is tight on funds.

Ok let me explain. It is not illegal to have a stock account when you are young. I am now 13 and I have and Etrade account. Second, the best time to buy was very recently, (yes the recession) while everyone is yelling that the sky will fall and the economy will collapse smart investors like Warren Buffet buy more. If everyone is convinced that next week the stock will no longer exist they panic and sell in a frenzy. Take Ford for example, even though they recieved a government bailout the company had a strong base that kept it secure. The stock itself dipped to 3.00 but very easily rose to where it is now at 11.00.

Your parents are still the responsible party. At 13 in any country you can not enter in to a contract. Online trading requires you have a bank account, with money in it, and a major credit card.
I stood behind my old boss while he did some buying and selling through eTrade online one day. He invested 25,000usd. 4 days later the stock was worthless at 50 cent a share. Good thing ol Bob was a multimillionaire. While it pissed him off he called one wrong it didn't break him like it would us poor folks. Invest wisely grasshopper.

Back
Top Bottom