A few questions before I build my own?

I still think they're way too hot for their own good, and their pricing isn't competitive with ATi's. The GTX460 seems to be an exception however.

I can get a new eVGA GTX 470 for just barely under $300 in Canada, a GTX 470 is about equal to a 5870. A new 5870 is currently running at $425. I'd consider the nvidia to be the better bang for my buck.

Also they aren't running as hot anymore as I said before, I was talking to a guy over at OCN while considering my upgrades. He'd recently upgraded from 2x 5770s to a gtx 470 and heres what he had to say about heat and the noise of the fan:

I keep my fan at 75% it sounds the same as my 5770s at 50%, Idle 38C Just Cause 2 gets my card to 65C, Crysis gets it to 72C. Supersonic Sled gets it to 75C, when I run Kombuster I put all my case fans on high and it maxes at 78C.

When I had a single 5770 in my system it ran at 69C at 100% fan speed (which sounds like a jet taking off).

I don't like how you need an Nvidia chipset to SLI though

All P55 and X58 boards support both crossfirex and SLI and AMD has no reasoning to support their competitiors cards on their own chipset which is why its not on there.

I can get a new eVGA GTX 470 for just barely under $300 in Canada, a GTX 470 is about equal to a 5870. A new 5870 is currently running at $425. I'd consider the nvidia to be the better bang for my buck.

Yeah, CAD. There's around a $50 difference here. Also, you can get a 5850 for ~$300 and easily flash it to a 5870 bios and get within 5% of the performance of a 5870. Now, you would also have to overclock the GTX470 for it to be a fair comparison, but I doubt it'll see that kind of return.

Also they aren't running as hot anymore as I said before, I was talking to a guy over at OCN while considering my upgrades. He'd recently upgraded from 2x 5770s to a gtx 470 and heres what he had to say about heat and the noise of the fan:

When I had a single 5770 in my system it ran at 69C at 100% fan speed (which sounds like a jet taking off).

I have a 5770, and mine doesn't get that hot or run at that fan speed. I have a standard cooler as well. I have no clue what card he bought, but it certainly wasn't a standard one.

All P55 and X58 boards support both crossfirex and SLI and AMD has no reasoning to support their competitiors cards on their own chipset which is why its not on there.

What about LGA775 boards? The only reason you can't SLI on those is because Nvidia locked the drivers, there's no hardware reason at all.

I underlined my responses

Those were regular prices too, yesterday I saw a 480 at $355 on overstock.com and a 470 at $235. I have yet to see a 5850 or 5870 go anywhere near that

the 5770 was mine, I can post up screenshots when I get home (in a week). Its the first gen sapphire.

Does anyone buy LGA775 systems anymore?

Back
Top Bottom