Tutorials Section

that's why people like you comment on it so it can be modified ;) or if it's totally worthless it doesn't go into the tutorials section or gets trashed

I think we should start by having someone thoroughly search the forums for good guides and tutorials, posting each link here. If the number is significant we can think about moving forward, else we just discard the idea. This way we have concrete evidence to show David why such section would enhance the forum.

[Sarcasm]Great Idea! I've never seen anything like this![/Sarcasm]

In all seriousness, we have a thread in stickied in hardware that has the sole purpose of leading people to gides/tutorials: http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=40515

Looks like I'm the only one that's added anything within the last year but I add anything that looks good and has enough positive feed back (and gets a pm in my in box).

Just saying, the supports always been there, just no one seems to notice it/use it.

^ The last entry was almost a year ago. I've seen a handful of guides since then.

edit: I just realized I neglected half of your post because I got right to replying after I clicked on the link.

Here's my argument for a section rather than a thread. With a section, people can constantly add information to the post. With a section, we don't have to PM you guides that should be added, and you don't have to go through the trouble of adding them yourself. With a section, we can easily rate a guide good or bad. If we do these things with the assorted threads, then we'll have old threads that are constantly being revived from the old days; they'll clutter people's threads that need immediate attention.

You may be right. However for me I haven't added any to that list because no guides have stuck out to me and no one has asked to have theirs added.

Also, when I look for "good" guides I typically look at one thing, portability. I want the guides to work for more than just one specific motherboard that's going to be discontinued in a few months. Ie stuff like "how to OC your I7 XXX" is my preference over "OCing on an Asus p5nsli". While I understand some people will never look at generic ones for help, I also kind of think it a waste for people to make a how-to on a specific product if maybe one or two other members will utilize it.

So when it comes to a new section for it, I just see it as a waste. An area that will just get filled with guides on obsolete stuff.

Just my two cents.

I understand what your saying, and I agree. A section with a million guides on very specific circumstances is not as effective as a thread with links to other threads that cover those 1 million circumstances in 10 different posts. I agree. However, I was looking at a bigger picture. There are quite a few different guides one can write and still be "general".

I would say, that a guide on OC'ing an Intel chip is general enough to be put in a different thread than a guide on OC'ing an AMD chip. The differences in technique are significant enough to warrant their own threads. Right off the top of my mind, I could name 10 easy guides (that may already exists or not) that are general enough to provide that portability you talk about:

-Installation Efficiency: No crapware, registry leftovers, disk fragmentation, etc.
-Dealing with a Blue Screen of Death
-Cable Management: Tips & Tricks
-Home Network Set-up
-Network Troubleshooting: Common Problems
-Assembling Your First Computer
-Multi-Booting
-Multi-Monitor Set-up: Pros/Cons, etc.
-An Introduction to SLI/Crossfire
-RAID: Storage on Roids!
-Benchmarking: Programs and Results
-OC'ing to the next level: CPU lapping, pencil mods, hard mods, and more!

I mean...I could list stuff that many of us could write about forever! These are all general topics that people can write guides on. They're not hard to write, I just feel like people don't do it because they want their stuff stickied; and mods can't sticky everything else "immediate need" posts wouldn't be on page 1.

If you made those threads (plus the two on OC'ing you mentioned before the list) I'd be happy to set up a sticky linking them all.

Now, it's up to you to make ;)

P.S. PM me when they are done so I know to look!

Haha that would take me a while to write, especially if I were to get pictures for some of them. I'll tell you what though. I'll try to write a guide every day or so (not necessarily those exactly because, for example, I don't know much about RAID).

So instead of the new section, let me suggest this. Move over the contents from the current sticky thread to a new one (made by yourself). ArrizX doesn't log in very often (if he does he's only lurking). You could keep the thread more up to date. Having to scroll down to look through various posts make is more or less a hassle, especially when we could fit everything in 2 posts. Any information that becomes obsolete (whether it's outdated or whether someone writes a better guide) gets delete. It will help maintain things appealing and organized.

Right, I just planned on making a new one so that people didn't have to scroll through all the older stuff.

You had another idea that you sent me via pm. I like it so go ahead and post it and I'll take care of the rest.

I'll start digging up guides so we can all evaluate what's worthy of being on the sticky thread. One of the things I noticed, is that in that sticky were various topics including overclocking, security, and software. Now, technically we should only be speaking about hardware in the "Hardware" section. Do we want to have various stickies spread out (one for each section)? I don't find that a problem.

edit: Foothead's guide on overclocking graphics cards: http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=96527
Grantofhell's guide on watercooling w/ recommendations from Foothead: http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=87071
99nasha's guide to overclocking: http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=29837
My OK guide to overclocking, AMD based: http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=93738

edit2: I think we need a new approach to this. Finding guides are way too hard. We should make it so people need to write "Guide: [Title]" when writing guides. This is just too hard.

Back
Top Bottom