can i copy ssd to ssd

clahman

Solid State Member
hi, first post here. tomoz i get a new ssd 128gb kingston. i already have a 64gb kingston but have run out of space. i intend to use the smaller one in my laptop all being well.
supplied with the ssd is some software, and i have the vids on how to copy the data from the hdd to the ssd. will this work when copying the data from the small ssd to the new bigger one ? sort of thing. thankyou,,,gordon

Are you looking to just copy files? Or are you wanting to copy an image of the OS installation? SSDs behave like HDDs. You still have a file system and partitions, if necessary.

i was hoping to exchange all data including windows 7 os. my setup just now is 64gb ssd, which only has 5 gb free space left and some of my software nero etcetra has had to be removed. i would prefer not to partition as i want as much storage (i.e. 128gb) as poss. i easily transferred the data from my hdd to 64gb ssd, and am ghoping i can do the same except form 64gb ssd to 128gb ssd. cheers,,,gordon

Just copy the information from your 64gb SSD to your 128gb SSD?

Or just put the information from your 64gb ssd onto an external harddrive and copy over

Open a DOS Command prompt and type the following
This is assuming the drive you want to copy from is C: and the drive you want to copy to is D:

xcopy32 c:\ d:\ /h/i/c/k/e/r/y

alright, now i have 67.4Gb free of 119Gb. the changeover went okay, only having a bit of a problem trying to set the configuration to AHCI instead of IDE. i'll see if i can get some hdtach results and post them up so you can see the difference in speed, compared to my old maxtor.
next i have to put the 64gb ssd into my laptop, and bin the hdd (intolerably slow). but i'll have to ask about that in another post. thanks

Screenshot-07_04_201018_57_48.jpg

Screenshot-14_07_201015_30_40.jpg
Screenshot-14_07_201015_46_01.jpg

Screenshot-14_07_201015_21_34.jpg

Back
Top Bottom