Just bought a Belkin router - IT SUCKS!

SweetBe

Baseband Member
My WRT54G v4.0 (with DD-WRT) finally died today, so I went to Costco and bought the Belkin "Play" wireless router (info here: http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=509868).

Anyway, it sucks! It takes at least 5 seconds before it connects to a webpage (Chrome just says "Resolving Host"). It's like this through wireless-N and ethernet! This is horrible! My WRT54G was fast as hell.

When plugged in directly to the cable modem, every webpage that I go to loads within a second or two.

I bought a Belkin router a few months ago to maybe get an upgrade, but I took it back because it was also slow.

Not sure if it's a dud or what, but I'm never getting a Belkin wireless router again.

UPDATE: While writing this post, the damn thing just reset itself! What a hunk of junk. No wonder everyone left negative reviews on this thing.

I've had a Belkin router as well and they're complete junk. We stocked a bunch of them at the shop I work at too and had to stop selling them, simply because everyone kept bringing them back.

I'm quite pleased with my 2Wire.

I've had a Belkin router as well and they're complete junk. We stocked a bunch of them at the shop I work too and had to stop selling them, simply because everyone kept bringing them back.

I'm quite pleased with my 2Wire.

Wow, that's horrible! How are they still selling routers?

I read these reviews on my iPhone while at Costco, and saw that one person supposedly fixed these problems with a firmware upgrade, but that didn't do anything for me: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Wirele...=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I immediately updated the firmware when I started to set it up.

I bought a Netgear WNR3500L from CompUSA for $90. So far, I like it. It looks really nice, but gets a lot of fingerprints (not that I'm gonna touch the thing anymore).

I'm sort of confused though. I should be getting over 200Mbps via wireless-N when my laptop is next to the thing, but I get a locked-on 145Mbps. In the settings for the router, it was originally set to "Up to 145Mbps", but I changed it to "Up to 300Mbps", but I'm still getting 145Mbps. Maybe a restart of the router will fix it.

Back
Top Bottom