Track IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

desmond5986

Solid State Member
one of my laptop was stolen last week and i have already reported to the police and they are investigating the IP address which i have provided to them because i have installed certain software that will inform me the IP address of the laptop every time the device connected to the internet.

Does any one know that is that possible to track the exactly location of the IP address ? Please show me how if that is possible way, thanks for your help.

Tell the police the exact time and date and the I.P and they will be able to contact your ISP who can find them

An exact IP is useless. If they get on at a coffee shop or a hotel, you're tracking software would be useless. Besides, most IP's are dynamic.
File a claim with your insurance company and get another one.

As said above the IP address isn't brilliantly helpful in this case. If anything can be deduced from it then the police will be able to do that far better than you can (since they'll be able to use the ISP's data) but the chances are pretty slim.

Thanks for all of your opinion , i did tell the detective about the IP address and the time the device was online , i even track the IP address by using the ip-adress.com/ip-trace and i got some information about the ISP which is under bellsouth and road runner due to the laptop seems like stay at two different spots.

But the detective told my relative that unfortunately , the ISP is unable to cooperate with him and couldn't give him the information about the IP address, I am just wondering that why are the ISP refused to help ? Are they really can't give the information about the IP address ? is this against the law ?

ISPs can be very funny about giving up this sort of information and often won't unless they're forced to by a court of law. It's not because it's illegal, it's just because it's effort for no gain (on their part.)

That's ridiculous, what can i do for next ? am i able to get back the laptop ? That is criminal, how come we couldn't do anything even though we have evidences .....

You might have to take this case to a bigger police station or a higher end detective, who might possibly get a warrant to search the ISP's logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom