Quick question on a hard drive

Kage

Golden Master
Hey guys,

Quick question :)

If I want to take a hard drive from someone else s PC and use programs on it to clean it up, etc, is there any way of making sure no virus's can jump off it if there are any?

I have virus protection, but I have no idea what will be on that drive. It may not have any virus's, but I don't want to put it in to find my protection doesn't work, and my PC dies.

Like a free program that will make a drive read only to my computer but still allow deleting, etc on the source drive?

I'd be confident enough to hook up the drive to my rig, do a full scan of the drive with Avast! and run Malwarebytes as well.

If it's safe after those scans then it's business as usual.

What's wrong with the drive?

Its apparently a larger drive than its saying, so it must have a hidden partition somewhere, so I'm going to check the partitions out, and rid of the one that is not in use.

But he also said it's going a lot slower, so I'd probably run clean ups on it.

So as long as I don't copy anything off, and simply run scans after connecting it up, I shouldn't have any problems?

Haha, but it is a social question... Its not hardware related, and its not software related.
I was asking a question socially :p

Put my hard drive in theirs?... I don't think I even can. Mine is NTFS, and hes running a Compac PC that probably only supports FAT32

Guess it could have gone in the Security section, but to be honest, I only ever go in 4 sections.
Social/Hardware/Software, and the Ideas section for moderating

Ah, but that couldn't work either, as the 2 hard drives I have in my computer run in RAID 0, so if I take one out of mirroring, it doesn't even boot up.

I could put his drive as a slave though

Haha, okay Joga :p

I'll blame you if my computer becomes riddled with worm thingies :D

Ok. It shouldn't really though. Parted Magic runs before windows and I doubt the "virus creators" would have written something that initiates itself without affecting the registry and other "windows places".

Back
Top Bottom