Computer time issue, windows 7

jordanmoore

Beta member
General information:
Acer Aspire 6920G laptop
Windows 7 64-bit
About a year and half old

Problem:
When I switch off the computer, and boot it again the time and date reset, it resets to the 21 December 2008 (or 2006) and the time around about 11pm.
Along with this issue, when this happens the only icons that actually load in my task bar are the battery, the speaker and McAfee, the rest have their spaces but the icon is invisible and there is no right click menu.
After the computer has booted, and the time is messed up and the icons haven't loaded I press restart. When I restart the computer it seems to fix itself, the time goes back to the proper date and time, and all the task bar icons load.

Extra Details:
Happened with Windows 7, I formatted the hard drive yesterday and reinstalled, it still happens.
It began a few months ago.
The bios time resets as well.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? It's beginning to get annoying having to boot the computer twice when I need it. Thanks.

I was thinking the cmos battery myself, but if that is definitely it because the time restores itself on restart (without connection to the internet, so no sync).

And also, I thought that with a flat cmos battery a laptop would use power from the actual battery to save all the cmos settings, including time?

And also, I thought that with a flat cmos battery a laptop would use power from the actual battery to save all the cmos settings, including time?

I reckon while in the OS, and after the time has updated, the time will keep. Also when its sleep mode too.

I've been looking around to find out where it would be on your laptop but haven't seen anything. You will need to pull the laptop apart though.

Just don't end up with extra screws like I did on my laptop when I painted it.

Back
Top Bottom