Comp not booting into windows

thomas49th

In Runtime
Alright,

Got a computer which was working fine the other day but now wont boot into windows. It does the BIOS splash screen and then just goes to a blank screen with a blinking white line top left.

If I tap F8 and goto the boot selection menu I can select the HD, but makes no difference.

Athlon 4000+
ASUS AV9-VM mobo
400GB WD SATA
nVIDIA 6600GT
4x512mb RAM

Haven't started pulling component in and out yet. Quite busy at the moment but what do people suggest. I'm guessing "try the HD", "you've got alot of memory sticks - pull some out" :)

Cheers
Thomas

hmm tried the ram (I lied - 2 sticks of 1gb). Don't want to change PSU yet (it's a micro and aint got any more mATXs spare). Tried putting the windows 7 dvd in, it loads files from it then has got stuck on "stating windows" with the windows flag flapping or what ever it does.

Might try removing the gfx card, but first ill unplug the HDD

Best not of got a brokey HDD!

that sounds like a bad hard drive to me i fixed a computer not to long ago that was doing that would go to bios then blinky left corner most likely a bad hard drive

Hmmm unplugged it from that pc. Put it as a slave in my pc upstairs and it wont boot up! Take it out the pc boots up ok. Plug it in while the pc is on the disk is detected but I cannot access it!!! I had this with my WD500 6 months ago (got warranty on that). This is a WD400 and has no limited warranty. :eek:

It's buggered isn't it! :mad:

Thanks
Thomas

hold that thought!!

seem i've just been able to access it. It seems it created to drives. drive e and drive j. I guess there two partitions on the disk - the 400GB and the 8mb spare (if windows still uses that?)

Pity disk manager wont start.

EDIT: Time for a big copy and paste 3mb/s transfer even between 2 SATA drives ....

Back
Top Bottom