Any body familar with Puppy Linux, need help with it.

Computer1234

Baseband Member
After a severse crash on windows, i was suggested to install Puppy Linux and im attacly on right now. But i need help, i checked offical website about how to install in different ways and "frugal" was easiest and simplest way. But i must know how to do this.

A frugal install just copies the three files from the CD to your hard drive as they are. Each method has its own advantages, which we won't discuss now. For beginners, a frugal install is easiest - simply because it duplicates the way that the Live CD works. (A more detailed comparison of full versus frugal is provided at the end of the article.)

In a frugal install, Puppy creates another file named pup_save.2fs. When you boot up, the filesystem stored in the core Puppy files is loaded into memory, but remains read-only. The pupsave file is used to hold all the new content you add. These two are merged together so it appears that you are working with a single filesystem. You get the effect of a full install while Puppy is running, but all you actually see on your hard drive are the core files and the pupsave.

How can i do this? I DONT WANT TO LOSE ANY FILES AFTER I RESTART MY COMPUTER. PLEASE HELP ME HERE.

I just want the computer to start and load puppy, i dont want go though installation again and again and lose everythin each time. How someone tell me how to do this?

I alredy lost all my data in a crash. I followed steps listed by microsft right here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 becuase windows could not becuase file is curropt or missing. So I followd every thing they listed there then i got a new error saying lsass.exe "invalid parameter was passed". Windows CD was no help becuase i was getting that error when i was trying to install Windows. Plus installation won't start, it just says "39 minutes apox" and just stays there forever. And error pops up to, if i click okay from the error, it just restarts. So i burned puppy linux on a cd from another computer and installed it my computer. No i alredy lost all my date, i was saying if i work on linux and reboot, it reinstallls puppy linux all over again and i lose everything i did previously on linux. I don't want that, i just want it start the linux with all my stuff i did before.

You could have tried a repair install of XP instead that would have left all your files on programs intact.

Sorry I can't help you with Linux, but I'm sure somebody will come along that can.

It seems that i may have fixed the problem. On my way shut down, i clicked saved file so it saved all my previous work i did before shutting off. I would like to change my default browser, this puppy version of mozzila firefox doesn't have the book mark way was on regular firefox. Although i can't do it becuase i click on earth icon(browse) and it doesn't ask me to change my browse, it just opens puppy one

Can someone tell me something else such as do popular programs work with puppy such as ccleaner, soulseek?

I don't have an aiti virus, do i need a anti virus for puppy?

How do i download from internet?i can't save files, photos, links. i really want to just click and save them or drag them like i could do in windows. i drag the link into the floppy icon and chose a destination folder but xwge is not really doing anything.

And if i shut down without saving and turn on without cd, will it start windows or go on linux?

Not to throw you through a huge loop here, but I would actually recommend Ubuntu Linux 10.04 if you're stearing away from Windows. Ubuntu is the most like Windows and easiest to install/set up. Highest program compatibility and excellent support at ubuntuforums.org.

However, I'm still not clear as to why you're ditching Windows... you seem like you're pretty new to computers and Linux, (even though the newer versions are more simplistic) is really for more advanced users IMHO. If you can, borrow a friends copy (of the legal copy you own) of XP or Vista or 7, whichever version of Windows you own and install that as the only thing that's checked is the CD Key when you install which you should have on the back, or bottom, of your computer. You may not have lost all your files if you have Vista or 7 as you can install over the drive (not sure about XP) and retain your files and the last copy of Windows that was on the drive. Let us know if you need further instructions or additional help.

Edit: With Linux, there's no need for an AntiVirus program, Viruses are typically written specifically for Windows. No need for CCleaner either. For downloading files, you should be able to accomplish this by installing Ubuntu and then downloading Google Chrome. I'm not a FireFox user so I can't help with that.

Are you sure you were told to install linux and use it instead of windows, or just to use it temporarily (via a livecd) to retrieve your files? I recommend the second all the time, pop a livecd in of knoppix for instance and you can pretty easily copy all your files over onto an external hard drive or similar (then willingly wipe your hard drive and install windows again.) I wouldn't recommend using it just because windows fell flat on its face though - as pointed out already while it's getting easier to use by the day it's still not always the easiest thing in certain situations.

Back
Top Bottom