Random Chit Chat

It costs them a fortune to maintain satellite internet. Just think about it and the pricing will make more sense.

It is much cheaper/faster now though. I think it starts at $50-60 a month depending on the provider.

I can understand the overhead and inclusion of that overhead in the price, but $100 for 300kbps internet... That's just stupid.

Even the internet company I have now which is some form of wireless with a receiver that attaches to the tv antenna costs 40 bucks which isn't bad but they know they are the only company offering hi speed in the area so they like to screw you around. The receiver blew down in a windstorm last summer and they said they would send someone out likely no earlier than 1 week but we waited 2 weeks and called and got put on hold a bunch of times and my dad had a business to run over the net and needed it urgently so I was like heck I'll just go up and see if I can reattach it since the wire wasn't damaged from the fall. So I just went up and attached it and started fiddling with the angle while having someone check the computer and now we actually get a 100kb/s boost over what we had. talk about ISP fail lol

That must've been right when they started up. Gotta pay for those sattelites somehow...

And sattelite internet is a pretty niche service. People either need it and they get it, or they don't. It isn't intended to compete with cable/DSL/fiber.

^^ Epic ISP fail lol

^ Very true, but those are pricing structures from 10 years ago... I know that here in the states, WildBlue Satellite internet costs about $60 for 1mpbs, still high but as you said, a niche market.

it was in 2003 when we inquired about it so yeah it was a just a maturing technology but my dad said that's it and never looked into it ever again to this day

We use Juno, and as part of subscribing they sent us a CD to set up a program that would dial you in, display ads, and make you use IE 5. I got sick of this after 2 years, and then found out how to create a connection to them using Windows. Surfing's much faster now that we aren't running that crappy program and using Firefox on top of it.

Even the internet company I have now which is some form of wireless with a receiver that attaches to the tv antenna costs 40 bucks which isn't bad but they know they are the only company offering hi speed in the area so they like to screw you around. The receiver blew down in a windstorm last summer and they said they would send someone out likely no earlier than 1 week but we waited 2 weeks and called and got put on hold a bunch of times and my dad had a business to run over the net and needed it urgently so I was like heck I'll just go up and see if I can reattach it since the wire wasn't damaged from the fall. So I just went up and attached it and started fiddling with the angle while having someone check the computer and now we actually get a 100kb/s boost over what we had. talk about ISP fail lol

Cox is worse. They will completely ignore everything I tell them, just so they don't have to work. Last time we had the repair guy come out, I told him that the issue was the cable coming through the wall (which coincidentally is like 100 feet long because they were too lazy to cut it) had a break in it, and it as causing the modem to get a poor signal. I had diagnosed this by moving the modem to a different room, where it worked perfectly for a week. I put it back, and immediatly, it won't work again. What the cox guy does is he goes and gets another modem, puts it in, then positions the cable in such a way that it starts working. Then he gets the hell outta there without saying a word to us. Five minutes later, the internet was down again. So we called cox back, had to wait another two weeks, and my mom had to take off work, only to have the next guy do the same thing. After that, we gave up and bought wireless networking supplies, then put the modem in a different room.

^^ with such a dirty name like cox you gotta question the integrity of that company lol

To anyone who uses dialup I hope you aren't paying for it. There are many free services out there some with usage limits others with ads or whatever. I have one set up ready to go just in case we have another internet fail here

Back
Top Bottom