New Website - Web Design

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

Alex, the first rule of web design publicity is to get a decent looking, custom made site out there that you've designed and written all by yourself and make sure it looks stunning and perfect.

Putting it bluntly, but what you've actually got there is a bog standard drupal install with a bog standard theme, a horrible logo that doesn't fit in with the rest of the page and at least one spelling mistake (http://alexseymour.org.uk/node/21 in the last paragraph.)

To get to the point where people let you do web design for free is going to take a while. Charging for your services is a complete waste of time at this point.

My advice? Take the site down for now or at least re-engineer it into a testing ground for you to try things out and become better at design. Get some good books, learn about what good design entails and perhaps give it a go in a few years time. No-one is going to pay you a penny at the moment and the only thing you'll achieve now is to damage your reputation if you want to seriously go into this in the future.

I'm only using drupal for my site as I simply haven't got the time to be working on an entire site for me at the moment when it comes to actually designer others I'll start from scratch and program the whole thing but I simply have no time to be worrying about making a whole new site to put up instead which is why I used drupal until I can get something else sorted out. Thanks for pointing out that spelling mistake I'd completely missed that.

Alex,

First rule to any professional designer.. Your site comes FIRST! You must create a professional site that looks good as many customers will base if they want to use your services based on the website they see when they go there. As a designer I can tell you take some steps back and redo your site first. You have a decent looking logo but you need to make your page match that logo color scheme and design wise. If i was a client coming to you right now I would move on to the next developer due to your site.. Sorry but just being honest..

No problem, I've started work on new one anyway now but I'm working on two other sites as well which is why I was saying that I don't have much time to build myself a new one, but I have now started although it may take a few days.

I really don't care what you think of the logo as it hasn't been designed for you. Apologies if that seems a little harsh.

I really don't care what you think of the logo as it hasn't been designed for you. Apologies if that seems a little harsh.

The logo has been designed for the customer. Seeing as how we could all be potential customers, I suppose it has been designed for him.

Lern2take advice.

Ok so I've managed to start working on a new site and I've uploaded an example of the homepage here http://alexseymour.org.uk/example/examplehome.html. It's only filled with lorum ipsum text and I've removed the navigation menu for the time being, this is only an example of the appearance.
Sorry about my last post as well it hasn't been a particularly good day for me.

Regards,
Alex

Back
Top Bottom