What operating system would be best for my system?

webber22

In Runtime
Hi, I have a pentium 4 (ya i know i already facepalmed myself :( )
And well i was wondering if i should use XP or windows 7 for gaming. (LIGHT gaming that is :D )

My specs:
3.4 GHz HT
4 GB DDR2 RAM
500 GB SATA HDD
ATI 4650

All answers appreciated! Thanks!!!

Honestly, thats what i think too. I have read MANY benchmarks saying that win7 is better. BUT from MY own experience XP is MUCH faster. It could be that i'm on a P4 of course.(probably is)

It could be that i'm on a P4 of course.(probably is)
You've got your answer there! 7 might work with it (I've never tried) but at the end of the day just isn't designed to be used with hardware that old. I'd go with XP any day, you're not going to be playing the latest and greatest on that box so XP should be more than adequate for your needs.

Honestly, thats what i think too. I have read MANY benchmarks saying that win7 is better. BUT from MY own experience XP is MUCH faster. It could be that i'm on a P4 of course.(probably is)

W7 is terrible for gaming on pretty much any computer. my Phenom x4 HTPC with a 4850x2 went from 60+ fps in most games to unplayable with the same settings. And I was running a hacked version of DX10 on XP, so that isn't the issue.

W7 is terrible for gaming on pretty much any computer. my Phenom x4 HTPC with a 4850x2 went from 60+ fps in most games to unplayable with the same settings. And I was running a hacked version of DX10 on XP, so that isn't the issue.

Windows 7 works great for gaming in my experience, with a 4850. It'd take the will of god set in stone to make me go back to that ugly aging antiquated relic that is xp. No competition in terms of user friendliness or features, although Win 7 64 bit does have a good share of trouble with legacy 16 bit apps and games, I might consider doing a dual boot when I find the time.

Well... I LOVE the performance of XP. And I also love the LOOK of windows 7. EASY download a Win7 theme for xp. That seems like a good idea to me :D

I get performance AND grrrrrreat looks XD

There ya go. If you ever upgrade to a new machine, you can then upgrade to Windows 7.

I would also suggest taking foothead's advice with a grain of salt. He is just about the only member here who has had major problems with Windows 7. I use it and it runs my games just fine. :D

Atomic, I have to ask you about something. In windows 7 gaming, do you ever get color distortion in games? I have read MANY posts on sites saying tht was a common problem! Lemme know! Thanks ALOT! :)

Back
Top Bottom